Because I spent most of my day shoveling snow and chipping ice, I started thinking about Stockholm, Sweden. I know what you're saying - "try writing about a tropical location!". Another time, my friends.
I've been lucky enough to travel to Stockholm several times over the last ten years. Each time has been to visit a game developer based in, or around, Stockholm. To be clear - I've visited this part of the world in both spring and winter climates - so I'm not biased toward the cold.
Within Stockholm, the area that I spent the most time in, is called Gamla stan, or Old Town. This area reminded me of several European cities - Helsinki, Oslo, Munich, etc. The cobble-stone streets and very narrow 17th century alleys create a really nice feel:



Although it can be a little touristy, I liked all the different shops and cafes. I find it fun to "people watch" - not just Swedes, but the crazy tourists that show up. The bakeries along these streets were some of my favorites...; )
I was surprised to find that many "sights" in Stockholm are located either in Old Town, or right nearby. With the limited time that I had, that helped quite a bit.
Next up is Riddarholmskyrkan. Try saying that ten times fast ; ) This is an awesome medieval church:


This is a shot of the rooftops near Riddarholmskyrkan - that's City Hall on the left
From what I understand, the church was originally a Friar monastery, founded in 1270. I don't know when the church itself was built, but it obviously has lasted quite a while.
Also near Gamla stan is Kungliga Slottet, or the royal family's residence. Like other palaces, you can't get inside, but there is a museum attached, that talks all about the kings of Sweden.



No, seriously...the King of Sweden lives here...
The royal palace goes all the way back to the 13th century. From what I understand, the newer portion was built around 1750 and has over 600 rooms. This palace is one of the largest residential castles in Europe. Plus, it houses the national "treasury", including this:
One of these would make a nice anniversary gift, no?
One of the game developers I went there to visit, is called D.I.C.E. Anyone who has played videogames should recognize these guys as the creators of Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, etc.

They are a crazy bunch of guys - but extremely talented. Just wait until you see what they have in store over the next couple of years...amazing.
Anyone who has traveled with me in Europe (I know, it's a very small group so far), knows that I love cathedrals. Besides the spiritual facet, I love the architecture and artwork inside (plus the overwhelming attempt to strike "fear" in the heart of worshippers). I stopped at another church in Stockholm, called the Storkyrkan. This is also known as the Saint Nicolai church. It's the oldest church in Stockholm, built mostly out of bricks.



Obviously, not my picture - but it gives you an idea of how cool the interior is...
Well, that's it for our quick trip to Stockholm. I'm not done with Sweden, however. Stay tuned for another city in Sweden that felt like I stepped into an IKEA showroom... ; )


2 comments:
As always, great job. Whenever I'm in those buildings that were built way back when, I wonder, "how DID they do that???"
I don't think I knew you had been to Stockholm this many times. Should have figured.
I'll take the crown for our anniversary if you want. :)
Post a Comment