As part of the funeral experience for my Grandmother (see previous post), I traveled with part of the family from Orem, Utah to Reno, Nevada - my Grandmother's final resting place. We drove across the Nevada desert to transport the casket:
Hanging out in the Utah Salt Flats
We stopped in the raging metropolis of Elko, Nevada. As our family have traveled between Reno and Salt Lake for many, many years, this is a tradition to stop here and rest for a bit. Of course, I was given the task of scraping bugs off the windshield:
Afterward, we continued on in the vans, until we reached Reno, to hold the burial service:
The dedication of the grave, and burial service, were conducted by my father. I can't imagine how tough it must be to do that for your own mother. He did a great job - and made sure people understood how strong my Grandmother's testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ was.

Afterwards, we were treated to a luncheon at the local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The women who organized this compassionate service were truly examples of unconditional love and charity. It's another lesson to remind us all of how we should treat others - whether we know them well, or not. It's another lesson that I won't soon forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment