
Welcome, my friends - to the last trip of 2009! That is, unless somebody hasn't told me about another trip. I honestly think this will do it. This year, I've flown about 130,000 miles on United Airlines alone. Considering that my company had a travel ban during January and February - I think that's a lot of travel. I'm lucky to have a supportive family.
This week, I'm in Austin, Texas. I actually like Austin. There's no beating the fact that the average temperature is about 20 degrees warmer than Boston right now ; )
I'm down here on business - my company has gathered almost 400 executives together to plan all of our 2010 - 2013 objectives.

It's pretty exciting to look at our plans for technology that extend beyond 2015...humbling stuff. If you thought the last couple of years were amazing for innovation in technology...just wait.
The meetings have taken place over 3 days. It's been a good experience, as I've had a chance to network with other folks from around the globe. I love hearing about challenges and cultural issues that people in foreign countries have to find solutions for.
The food here has been great - with a heavy emphasis on meat and BBQ (yum). One place that I've wanted to try for a few years, but never had the time, was Rudy's:

This is a great cultural institution in Austin. Basically, it's a combination of a gas station, convenience store and BBQ restaurant. All your favorite destinations combined into one ; ) The fact that saves this strange combination is that the food is amazing. Some of the best BBQ brisket that I've ever had. Period.

I love the way that they treat you, when you walk up to the counter. They ask "Is this your first time at Rudy's?" If you say "yes", then they proceed to explain the menu in a friendly way - and present you with samples of most of the menu items. Perfection! You can tell exactly what you're getting. Along with the usual BBQ fare, they toss in slices of white bread, just to complete the cultural experience. I hope I get to return to Rudy's soon.
I'm looking forward to the flight home tomorrow night. Then, it's only a day-and-a-half until my oldest son and his wife arrive for Christmas!!!!!! I can't wait to dive back into Christmas!
I hope you and your family enjoy the holidays...and that you look forward to 2010 as a time of hope, and an opportunity to improve your life, and the lives of those around you. Good luck!
2 comments:
I want go to go there! But first I'll hit up Armadillo Willy's!
I've never been to Austin. Have to admit whenever I hear "Rudy"s" I think of DONUTS ; )
Post a Comment