
Just one last post, before I depart dear old Las Vegas…
The conference (see previous post here) ended last night - and as in years past, most everybody leaves early, to get home. I guess I'm not quite that smart. This year, I'm actually going on to California, so I had a free night in Las Vegas. Now - by myself - I really can't get into too much trouble. I decided to head down the "The Strip" and go for a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g walk. If you've ever been to Las Vegas, you'll understand what I mean. When you look at the hotels on the Strip, they all look like they are right next to each other. If you want to go from one to another, it's just a little stroll. You would be dead wrong. These hotels are monstrous - and getting from one to the other is a major hike. Combine that with the large number of people doing the exact same thing…and it's an experience.
I decided to check out the brand-new MGM City Center. This was a major construction project for quite a while. They just opened this location - a massive mall, combined with an upscale hotel. The mall was …interesting. Very high-end and fancy.



I ended the evening in The Venetian. At their Food Court. I know, not one of the five-star restaurants, like the one I went to the previous night. My motivation for the Venetian Food Court? Nathan's:

This is a big weakness of mine. Hot dogs are my favorite - but the pinnacle of hot dog achievement is Nathan's Famous hot dogs - originating in Brooklyn, New York. There are very few actual Nathan's franchises outside of the New York area. I think there's a couple here in Vegas - this one is easy to get to.


The conference (see previous post here) ended last night - and as in years past, most everybody leaves early, to get home. I guess I'm not quite that smart. This year, I'm actually going on to California, so I had a free night in Las Vegas. Now - by myself - I really can't get into too much trouble. I decided to head down the "The Strip" and go for a v-e-r-y l-o-n-g walk. If you've ever been to Las Vegas, you'll understand what I mean. When you look at the hotels on the Strip, they all look like they are right next to each other. If you want to go from one to another, it's just a little stroll. You would be dead wrong. These hotels are monstrous - and getting from one to the other is a major hike. Combine that with the large number of people doing the exact same thing…and it's an experience.
I decided to check out the brand-new MGM City Center. This was a major construction project for quite a while. They just opened this location - a massive mall, combined with an upscale hotel. The mall was …interesting. Very high-end and fancy.

That's a restaurant, in the middle of that...thing

A beautiful fountain at City Center
Exactly what Las Vegas needs...more Versace stores. You have to understand that there are literally a dozen Versace, Cartier and Christian Dior stores within just a few miles of each other. It's another sign of the horrendous over-building that has taken place in Vegas for years. They really picked the wrong time to open this place. Ultra-high merchandise isn't selling well right now. But I digress...
I don't care how jaded you are about Las Vegas (myself included) - the fountains in front of The Bellagio are amazing. Every fifteen minutes, the hotel puts on this amazing "show" with the fountains synchronized to opera & classical music. If you've seen the ending to the movie "Ocean's Eleven", you'll know what I'm talking about. It was beautiful.
I don't care how jaded you are about Las Vegas (myself included) - the fountains in front of The Bellagio are amazing. Every fifteen minutes, the hotel puts on this amazing "show" with the fountains synchronized to opera & classical music. If you've seen the ending to the movie "Ocean's Eleven", you'll know what I'm talking about. It was beautiful.

I ended the evening in The Venetian. At their Food Court. I know, not one of the five-star restaurants, like the one I went to the previous night. My motivation for the Venetian Food Court? Nathan's:

This is a big weakness of mine. Hot dogs are my favorite - but the pinnacle of hot dog achievement is Nathan's Famous hot dogs - originating in Brooklyn, New York. There are very few actual Nathan's franchises outside of the New York area. I think there's a couple here in Vegas - this one is easy to get to.
Thanks, Las Vegas!
Sidenote: I started my trip to California by waking up at 4:30am. My flight was at 6:30am and I had to drive a distance to return the rental car. At the airport, I had a delightful breakfast at Ruby's Diner.

It's one of my favorite spots in the Las Vegas airport (and there are TONS of places to choose from). I had a delightful "egg sandwich". If you're at this airport, any time in the morning - give it a try.

No comments:
Post a Comment