November 30, 2010

Dubai - Part 1


My friends, today I get to check "Dubai" off my remaining list of cities to visit.  This week, I'm in Dubai, part of the United Arab Emirates.  This particular emirate is located on the coast of the Persian Gulf, just across the Gulf from Iran ; )

I'm here to deliver a keynote address at a conference.  My first post won't have too many beautiful shots of the city of Dubai - I've spent most of the day indoors at my company's office and at the conference.  More tourist shots later...I promise.

I'm staying at the Dubai Hyatt.  It's a beautiful hotel, located just minutes from the Dubai International Airport:

Obviously not my picture...

The lobby of the hotel is amazing.  The opulence of Dubai that you may have read about, is alive and well.  Here's a quick panorama video of the lobby:


One interesting thing.  As you should know, Dubai is a Muslim country.  Prayers toward Mecca are conducted five times a day.  Legally, you can't be too far from the call to prayer - either by an actual mosque, or speakers that broadcast the call to prayer.  Inside the hotel, in every single room, you'll find something like this:


It's a directional indicator toward Mecca, so that you can pray in the right direction.  Really amazing.

The conference that I'm here to attend is the Dubai World Game Expo.  This is a show that is trying to promote game development in the Middle East, with a focus in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.  


The conference is being held under the patronage of Sheikh Majid Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum - son of the current emirate ruler.  Try saying that five times fast ; )  The show has also combined some computer animation exhibits.  We helped to sponsor one of the game developers in the region.  Here is a picture of their booth at the show:


While the rest of the show seems to be just like any other conference/trade show.  There are some differences:

 Everybody needs heroes...even the Arab world



This next shot will probably be the only one that captures women in traditional burka/burqa dress.  Culturally, photos of women in this type fo clothing is frowned upon.  I made it look like I was taking a picture of the booth.


Several middle-eastern countries had booths to promote game development in their country.  The largest and most-impressive was from Iran:


Some traditional wardrobe at the Malaysian booth

I spent the late afternoon at the AMD office in Dubai.  I had a chance to meet all the employees there, and deliver some presentations on upcoming products.  I found all of them to be very nice.  They even had a "going away" party for one employee.  The dessert that was served was unique:


It's called "Kanafa".  The best way to describe it is, melted cheese under a cake, with pistachios on top.  Got that?  Regardless, it was delicious and in no way was it healthy.  I asked Dana to be in the picture, to give you an idea of the size.  She's an ex-pat from the U.S.

That's it for now.  Tomorrow I deliver my speech.  I hope to try and see some of the city after that....

No comments: