December 24, 2010

Orem-Bountiful-Lindon, Utah


With all of the things going on here at home, I totally forgot a blog entry. During the Thanksgiving holiday, my family all gathered in Utah for my little sister's wedding.  Her fiance had just returned from his mission and they were going to be married while family was in town for the holiday.  We had a wonderful time, and seeing all of the family was such a treat.

Before the actual wedding day, we ran all over Utah County.  My little sister was at the local mall, getting her make-up done for the bridal photographs.  The make-up artist was none other than a niece of mine.  She's a real pro (after hearing testimony from several female members of our family) and a wonderful girl.  We decided to crash the event and surprised my sister at the mall:

You can see my son is confused by all the fuss...

This is my sister and her little nephew ; )

Afterwards, I decided to take my two boys up to the BYU Campus.  As my friends know, I hold that institution in high regard.  I absolutely loved my time there at school, and love to walk through the Wilkinson Center (student union), and especially the BYU Bookstore.  The view from campus is astonishing:


This is one of the reasons I miss living in Utah.  Just being able to see these mountains every single day.

In front of the Wilkinson Center

On our drive towards campus, we passed by the BYU football stadium.  My youngest boy saw the letters "BYU" on the side of that building.  Without prompting, this is what he started chanting:

It brought a little tear to my eye...

That evening, we went to an outdoor shopping area and came upon Santa Claus!  My 3 year-old wanted to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas.  It was a really great experience, something all parents can appreciate:


While in Utah, we also visited Salt Lake City.  We took the opportunity to visit Deseret Book's new "flagship" store on Temple Square.  It was amazing.  I snuck a snapshot of G-Man sitting down with my daughter-in-law and reading a book.  She's an elementary school teacher and is so patient with G-Man:


Well, the big day finally came.  We headed up to the Bountiful Utah LDS Temple, where the wedding was taking place.  The weather was cold.  I'm talking really cold.  I should know, as I've traveled to some of the coldest places in the world.  However, with that cold weather came a gorgeous shot of the temple building:

Shot by my wife's friend K

After the ceremony, the newly-married couple emerged to hear applause and a frozen, but excited crowd:





Because of the freezing temperatures, pictures at the temple were taken hastily.  We all assembled in front of the temple for a group shot.  I don't know how my little sister withstood that cold:

OK...one...two...three...FREEZE!


 My son and his wife

 In the parking garage - I dared him to lick the icicle...

We had a little family luncheon afterwards.  We had way too much food, as usual.  My father spoke to the group about marriage and what took place inside the temple:


My mom made a killer (literally) desert she's dubbed Death By Chocolate:


We rested that afternoon, anticipating the wedding reception that evening.  Fortunately, the event was held just minutes away.  The location was beautiful and my sister looked just so...happy.  It was a special night, for several reasons.  First, my sister is also an elementary school teacher.  It was so fun to watch some of her 1st grade students come to the reception and see their teacher in a beautiful wedding dress:

 Precious...

 We actually stood still for formal portraits...all of my siblings, except one on a mission.

 However, I couldn't let the chance to crash a "sister" picture go by without jumping in...

 G-Man and his cousin M

 G-Man with his cousins H and D - he loved playing with them the whole time.

My father and my oldest son - I really like this picture

Another memorable moment - the daddy-daughter dance.  It started out like a normal dance....


But quickly turned into this...a full-blown choreographed dance routine...


We were all "floored", as my father isn't usually comfortable doing something like this.  I guess love makes you do some crazy things ; )  Afterwards, my entire family hit the dance floor, as it's something we really love to do together.  I was obligated to bust out some "moves":

I try hard to embarrass my son...and it works...

The evening was beautiful...fun...eventful, and wonderful.  I'm so happy for my sister.  We all had a great time.  I think this picture sums everything up, much better than I could:

2 comments:

Emily said...

Looks like a great trip!!! Everything looks like it was wonderfull!!

balmforth.family said...

What a great trip along with great pictures. I know first hand it was COLD! I was thinking of you hoping you guys were surviving. I'm glad we had the blizzard rather then the cold. :-)