I totally forgot several pictures from my recent trip to Dallas (Arlington and Irving, Texas). These were stored on my phone...and wouldn't you know it...they all involved food ; )On my drive from Austin to the Dallas area, I only had to stop once for gas. I decided to pull off Interstate 35 just beyond Waco, Texas. By random luck, I selected a Shell gas station just off the highway. I didn't know it at the time, but I stumbled on to the Czech Stop:
I only thought the name was cute - until I walked inside. I found an amazing Czech bakery, that specialized in Kolaches.
If you're not familiar with this delicacy, it's a "puffy pillow of supple dough," filled with sausage/bacon, eggs and cheese. Up until this point, I only knew about Kolaches as "breakfast" food - that you find in local Texas donut shops. I was dead wrong. My horizon has now been broadened to appreciate "fruit Kolaches" including raspberry cream cheese, blueberry/apricot, maptle, pecan...you get the idea ; )
The interior of the Czech Stop was jam-packed. I was in a line of about 20 people, lined all the way around the interior of the tiny store...and it was worth it.
I now have a brand-new "rest stop" for any car trip between Austin and Dallas, from now on!
That evening, right before the BYU vs TCU football game, my oldest son took me to one of my favorite places in the Dallas area - Raising Cane's Chicken:
By far, this is one of the best "chicken strips" I've ever had. Like any prize-winning fried chicken, the batter on the outside is crispy and the chicken on the inside is warm and juicy. They make their own "secret sauce" for dipping, which brings the chicken to perfection:
The funny thing is that Raising Cane's is found mostly in the South and Midwest. However, they actually opened a shop in Boston (of all places) that my wife discovered and surprised me with. If you're near one of these (check their website), drop what you're doing an go (yes, that means you Allison and Dana).
While at the BYU vs TCU football game, we walked around the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, admiring such gourmet dishes as a Kobe Beef Hamburger. However, what really caught my eye was this:
I'm a real sucker for Nathan's Hot Dogs. Originally found in Brooklyn, at Coney Island, these hot dogs are truly unique. I've written about them before in this blog, as I've discovered Nathan's Famous in Tokyo, New York and the New Jersey Turnpike.
Last, I wanted to share a simple, but heavenly place in the Dallas area. As most of my close friends know, I'm rather addicted to fountain soda. Diet Coke used to be my weakness, but here in Texas I also have Diet Dr. Pepper. Coke Zero has also added to the problem. While on this trip, my son took me to a little gas station/convenience store chain called QuickTrip:
Inside is much more than the typical soda fountain set-up you'll find at a gas station market. They have tons of soda options (Coke and Pepsi), different kinds of ice, flavor additives...you name it. They pride themselves of only providing filtered water:
Truly a soda-worshipper's dream. This place reminds me of my days in college, at BYU. Across the street from the dorms was a place called Hart's:
They also had a dizzying array of diet soda choices, back in the 80s. I remember that a 44 oz soda only cost me 29¢. Perfect for a starving student's budget ; )
That's it for the post. Thanks for indulging me on a questionable culinary journey ; )













2 comments:
I will go to Cane's and sing your praises. And then go another block to my childhood ice cream parlor, Swensons.
My memory of Cane's is losing my cell phone there ; (
Goodness that's a lot of choices of soda.
Post a Comment