April 25, 2012

Dallas, Texas


It's been busy around here.  I mean really busy.  Most people don't think we ever stop moving...I'm beginning to agree with them.  Here it is, about 11:32pm and I've stopped working on my "day job" and about to work on my Church "calling"...but I had to make sure I documented this great trip that we recently took.

Two weeks ago, my wife and kids were returning from Boston, MA.  They flew into Dallas, so my wife could attend the Time Out For Women conference in Arlington, TX.  She was taking two of her Austin friends to see Time Out from "behind-the-scenes".  I drove up to Dallas to meet her, and spend some time with my son and his wife - who live in the Dallas area.

I love spending time with both of them - they're so fun to be around, and they're so good with the kids.  I love the way that G-Man looks up to his big brother.  My "daddy heart" melts every single time ; )

My oldest son has a small dog named "Toby".  He's a cute dog that thinks he runs the house.  G-Man simply adores this dog:


G-Man was thrilled when his brother told him he could walk the dog (this is how it starts, doesn't it?):



The best part was pure entertainment.  G-Man would throw Toby's chew toys down the hall, so he would "fetch" them.  L thought this was hilarious.  Both watched all of Toby's antics:


While we waited for my wife to return from the conference, we stayed at my son's house.  You have to understand...both of my boys have birthdays that are only a couple of days apart.  This meant that we would be able to celebrate both of them at the same time!

That evening, my oldest chose the restaurant and was really nervous that the wait staff was going to sing to him.  I think I saw beads of sweat - and it wasn't from the Buffalo Wings.  Here are the birthday boys at the restaurant:


Following the meal, we went to a local bowling alley for some family fun.  They had a special ramp for little kids, that let them participate.  This ramp was shaped like a dinosaur, of course:


Little L was mostly confined to the stroller, as she has a tendency to "wander"...which isn't helpful at a bowling alley:


We did, however, let her try the ramp.  We don't have any delusions of a future professional bowling circuit, but everyone can have fun:


My daughter-in-law is SO amazing with the kids...she's a natural.  She's patient and really listens to them. She teaches elementary school, which is perfect for her; )


G-Man opened his gift from my son and his wife.  G was vibrating with excitement, as it was a dinosaur that he really, really wanted.



We headed back home, where my daughter-in-law had made some AWESOME desserts.  You can either call these mini-birthday cakes, or humungous cupcakes..either way, they were delicious:


Right before heading back to Austin, we took a few pictures with the kids.  I absolutely love these kind of photos...everyone looks really great, and they're having so much fun being with each other.  What more can a father ask for??




On the way back, we stopped in Waco, Texas - which is about half-way between Dallas and Austin.  We found an awesome local hang-out that all the Baylor University kids go to.  It's called "The Health Camp" and serves burgers, fries and shakes.  Love the irony!!


A great little trip, filled with memories!  Thanks for taking the time to read....

No comments: