June 7, 2012

Los Angeles-E3 Part 1



This week, I'm in sunny Los Angeles, California.  I'm here all week to attend one of the biggest trade shows dedicated to games.  It's called E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo).  This is the big event where game publishers show all the games that will be coming out over the next year.  More on the show in the next post.

I arrived at Burbank Airport, because I have a burning, eternal hatred for the Los Angeles Airport (LAX). I prefer to arrive at a smaller airport, where I can just walk to get the rental car.  Less noise, less hassle. In fact, when we departed from the plane, we walked on the tarmac to the terminal building.  Here's a very quick picture of the sunset that evening:

Not the greatest, as I had to use the phone camera

The weather, as you might expect, was fantastic.  That is one of the few things that I miss about living in LA ; )

The show takes place in downtown LA, but all of the hotels were booked up.  I stayed much farther north, in Hollywood.  It's not as glamorous as it sounds.  I stayed in the Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood & Highland.


The view from my room

Here's a quick video, looking out from my room.  It was a mostly clear day in LA (shock!).  What you see below is called Hollywood & Highland - a huge shopping complex in the heart of Hollywood:


This is the MOST "touristy" part of LA.  Much like Times Square or Fisherman's Wharf in SF - the tour busses bring lots of folks from out-of town.  The shopping area is pretty unique:




The complex also houses the Kodak Theater, where the Oscars ceremony is held.  Here's the "red carpet" stairway that all the stars walk up, on their way to the event.  Lots and LOTS of tourists, as you can imagine.  With the few minutes I had, I couldn't get a clear shot of the staircase...


Across the street is the famous El Capitan Theater - this is one of those glamorous old-time theaters from LA's past.  Disney purchase it, and holds most of their big premieres there.  In addition, there's a huge sound stage next door, where ABC films the Jimmy Kimmel Live show, every evening.  I would love to be able to see the premiere of Pixar's Brave here:


Within a block of this intersection, you'll find such lovely tourist spots as the Hollywood Wax Museum, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Mann's Chinese Theater, and the Hollywood Walk of Fame:

Yeah...that's my shadow on Sandra Bullock's star ; )


At the Chinese Theater, you find all the cement "impressions" made by Hollywood stars, over the years:



The other part of Los Angeles that you'll notice right away, is that there is a huge amount of advertising for films and TV shows.  Not a big surprise.  Many of the posters for movies are the size of entire buildings.

Sorry - I couldn't help shooting into the sunlight...

That's about it for this part of LA.  I didn't have too much time, and needed to get downtown for the show.  I was traveling with several of my employees, and we have a tradition on the first day of the show.  We like to go to a wonderful little deli in LA, that's been around for about 65 years.  It's called Langer's, and they're located near MacArthur Park.


As an LA institution, they serve the most delightful pastrami sandwich I've ever encountered.  Good enough to eat for breakfast ; )

Now I'm hungry again....

That's it for this post.  Tomorrow, I'll find some time to show you pictures and videos from the actual E3 trade show...you know, where I actually have to work ; )

No comments: