August 12, 2012

2012 London Olympics - Part 3


This is the third post on our trip to the 2012 Olympic Games in London. You can find the previous post here.

My wife and I had a free day in London, as we didn't have tickets to any events for the day.  We decided to indulge my wife's love of music and theater by attending two different plays on the same day.  Let's call this her "olympics" ; )

We started with a matinee performance of War Horse.  The play and book were used as inspiration for the Steven Spielberg film of the same name:


The performance was brilliant.  For those that haven't heard, they use amazing puppets on-stage to represent the horses in the play.  It's hard to describe, but after a while, you forget that they're puppets and only see them as characters in the play:


My wife and I were thrilled with the production.  I'm glad that I held off on watching the film...it was worth it.


We had a couple of hours until the next show.  We headed to Covent Garden, which is a really fun part of London.  Lot's of little shops, street performers and restaurants.  They now have a huge series of tents outside that showcase some wonderful food and desserts from around the world:

German Strudel desserts

 Savory Strudel - I had no idea...

These were handmade giant French meringues

They were making the cupcakes right in front of us...


Giant vat of paella

We finally decided on some delicious local beef, cooked in onions and resting on some handmade bread. Delicious!


 We topped things off with crepes - filled with Nutella, of course!


On our way to the next theater, we ran into a very distinguished street in London.  Next to it was also a little "yard" with shops and restaurants:



We made our way to the theater to see the brand-new musical Matilda, based on the Roald Dahl book. You may have also seen the movie that was also based on the children's book:


The musical has won all kinds of awards in the British version of the Tonys.  The set design was simply stunning:



I hope this comes to Broadway, because it's definitely worth seeing - especially for families.  Heaven knows we could use more entertainment like that.

Overall, we had a lovely day in London.  I'm finding that I can navigate this city pretty easily.  We loved walking for a change, getting great exercise and seeing things pass by more slowly than usual ; )

That's it for now - tomorrow's post will be about two completely unrelated topics: the Temple and Olympic Basketball ; )

1 comment:

Dana said...

Please bring me next time?! I'll even CARRY your luggage :)