January 23, 2013

Tokyo, Japan - Part 3


This is a third - and last - post on my current trip to Tokyo, Japan.  You can view the second post here.


Alas, my time in Tokyo has come to an end.  It's hard to believe that I've only been here three days, as I've been able to see a great deal.  I could easily spend two weeks here, as there is so much to see.  I truly love this country and the only thing that could make this trip better would be to have my family with me.  I've taken both of my older children on trips to Japan.  I've also taken one of my brothers and my youngest sister.  I was lucky enough to bring my wife, just after we were married.  G-Man has asked to come to Japan - and that will happen when he's a little bit older.  I really wish I could bring so many of my friends and extended family - it would be great to have them understand why I love it so much.  I'm sure everyone has special places that they've visited - wouldn't it be great to just charter a jet and bring your loved ones with you?? ; )

Each night at my hotel, the maid leaves a little treat on my bed.  It's not chocolate, but a tiny origami crane.  I learned a bit of origami when I was a teen, and decided to leave her one, as well.



Behind my hotel is a beautiful public area -  the Shinjuku Chuo Park.  If you stay on that particular side of the hotel, you get a great view:




Next to the hotel, as I mentioned in the first post, is the Tokyo city hall.  They hung a huge banner to get people excited about their bid for the 2020 Olympic Games:



My very last bit a sight-seeing was a fast trip to a major shrine called Meiji Jingu.  This gorgeous wooded area is located right in the middle of Tokyo.


It's quite sacred to the Japanese people.  The shrine is deduced to Emperor Meiji and his wife, who passed away in 1912.  They apparently were quite loved by the people.  So much so that the Japanese decided to build this forest by donating 100,000 trees from all over Japan.  Volunteers built the structures and finished in 1920.  According to Shinto (major Japanese religion) tradition, the divine souls of the Emperor and Empress are contained in the shrine.

The entrance has a very large Torii (wooden gate).  The wood for this came from 1,700 year-old trees!


Inside the forest, there is a unique display of sake (Japanese alcohol) barrels:


Apparently, each year - since the shrine was built - the sake industry selects one of the brewers to "offer" a barrel of sake to the divine soul of the Emperor.  I just through the barrels were colorful…I had no idea about the tradition.

Further into the forest, you find the entrance to the actual shrine.  The architecture is beautiful and simple.


Next to the entrance, you find a fountain of water (Temizuya) for purification.  The process here is exactly he same as the temple that I visited yesterday.


Inside the courtyard, you'll find a very minimalist set of displays.  Here's a picture and video of the courtyard, with the shrine located on the far end:





Around one of the large trees, are rows of hooks that people put small wooden blocks on.  The blocks contain prayers from individuals.  Each morning, the "priests" present the prayers to the Shinto gods, so they might be granted.



I decided to participate in the tradition.  I purchased my own wooden "votive". On one side of the block had a beautiful picture of a snake:



On the other side, I quickly wrote some words that I thought would be meaningful.




I can't finish a post better than that ; )  Thanks so much for reading yet another entry in my travel blog.  I do appreciate the time that you've spent reading all of my ramblings.  I hope it's been at least a little entertaining for you.  Some have said they appreciate seeing places that they might never travel to.  I guess I'm truly lucky ; )

No comments: