This is the second post about my trip to Las Vegas, Nevada. To see the previous post, just click here.
As you may remember, I was in town for the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). This is the annual gathering of 150,000 attendees to talk/sell/showcase all manner of gadgets, appliances, devices and other electronics.
When you're in Vegas, you see some pretty strange things. I'm not even talking about the people. In the Walgreens drugstore, for example, I found these lovely drinking glasses. Yes, those are straws going through the middle of those legs...
A short distance from my hotel, on the Las Vegas Strip, you can find the Coca Cola Store. I'm a big fan of Coke Zero and Diet Coke, so I wanted to look inside..
As you would expect, you can find all kinds of Coke memorabilia. Shirts, shoes, hats, socks, Christmas ornaments, jackets...you name it:
On the second floor, they had a little soda bar. The coolest menu item I saw was a set of taster soda drinks from around the world:
They actually bring out tiny shot glasses filled with these drinks. It was a little too much sugar for me to try, but I watched others try these new and interesting flavors.
Inside of my hotel, they had a unique sports car - it was completely covered in rhinestones. Of course.
Back at the actual CES show, each of the giant electronics manufacturers had massive booths to display all of their products. The big theme this year was about Ultra High Def TVs (UHD), also knows as "4K" TVs, because they have four times the resolution of today's high-def televisions. Many companies showed curved screens or just TVs will stunning resolution, brightness and color. The first comes from LG:
OLED = Organic Light Emitting Diode, or a brighter way to show images with less power
Besides the TVs, these companies also showed the latest in consumer appliances. This was a MASSIVE dryer that you could connect to your iPhone to program or check the status from anywhere
The newest washers that cut time from washing..using TurboWash!
Panasonic had new 4K cameras that are "wearable", so you can record that awesome bike ride in 4 times the resolution of high-def ; ) Look at the geek on the right in the TV display...
Panasonic also had this crazy set-up with three giant 4K TVs that were showing a football game in unreal detail - it's hard to see from the picture, just how clear the images were:
The massage chair area was pretty darn popular at CES. I guess walking for miles each day on the convention floor will wear you down:
Samsung is on a roll lately...they're the king of consumer electronics right now. Their booth was packed...and amazing. I can't even begin to imagine how much this booth cost to put together:
Samsung also had their appliances on display. The refrigerators were gorgeous - and getting bigger all the time. They had their new washers there. These was GIGANTIC. it's hard to tell, but that guy standing next to them is about 6 ft tall. We're talking mega-loads of laundry:
I found this fun invention - it's a take on the Roombas, or robot vacuum cleaners. This time, you attach it to a window and it will clean the entire thing automatically...genius!
I stopped by the Nikon booth, just because my wife uses their equipment to create beautiful photographs. I think she would really, really liked to have seen this:
I also stopped by the Canon booth, to see their cameras. They had a complete room decorated for Christmas, that you could use to take pictures and try-out their equipment. The room was filled with beautiful objects and everyone was clicking away...
Check out this camera...probably used in broadcast, it looks like it was built from a standard camera body for video....amazing
Because gadgets should be confined to just video and images...there was a booth showing off a new teeth-whitening system that you could do at home. I don't think these people realized just how insane they looked while trying it:
I stopped by the Sony booth, because I still have a soft spot in my heart for Sony video technology. They had some of the most GORGEOUS 4K TVs at CES. I was stunned at the image quality, and I look at these things all the time.
On the way out of the Central Hall (there is over 2 million square feet of convention floor here), you see Samsung with another booth, dedicated to the Galaxy phones and the new "smart watch".
It connects to your phone so you don't even have to reach in your pocket to make calls, etc. Lazy?
That's it - I could go on and on about the electronic gadgets...but I think you understand how big this show is. It was fun to share it with you!!



























No comments:
Post a Comment