September 25, 2008

Dallas, Texas


Yup...I'm in Texas again for the second week-in-a-row.  This time, it's Dallas.  If you say it with a real Texan accent, you can stretch that to three syllables, at least.  Throw in a little Don't Mess With Texas for good measure ; )

I am here to visit with one of the biggest developers in the computer gaming industry.  They're called id.  They've developed some of the most-successful games in history, including Doom and Quake.  I'm here on my birthday, if you can believe it.  I know, I know...my birthday isn't an actual holiday.  I was planning on spending the day with my wife and G-Man.  However, I was needed at this last-minute meeting...and, well,  here I am.

The silver lining of this whole experience is that I get to see my oldest son and his fiancé.  They were just engaged a few weeks ago.  I'm very, very excited for both of them.  My wife and I really love them and can't wait to see this next chapter in their lives unfold.

I was able to see their new apartment - which is huge, by anyone's standards (outside of Texas).  I think they would be surprised to see the size of apartments where most college graduates live ; )  It's beautiful and they have really made it their home:



That's Mr. Toby wagging his tail...

It's always so fun to see these guys.  I'm really glad that this emergency trip came up.  They both took me to dinner for my birthday...I think that's a first ; )  We went to a restaurant called The Keg.  This is a favorite of mine when I visit Canada - I had no idea they had one in Texas.  Prime Rib is the specialty...and it didn't disappoint!



I had a blast...as always.  I'm dog-tired, since I had to get up around 3am this morning...and I have a 6am flight tomorrow.  I hope I find the right plane ; )

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hope you had a great birthday with Chris and Heather.