Today's entry is a little different. Since we're so close to my birthday, I was thinking about birthday wishes. Having seen a large part of the world, where would Diggity like to go next? The Earth is a big place - there are still plenty of places that I've never seen. Some people have suggested that my blog should be "Where HASN'T Diggity Been?". A few of these places have already been visited by members of my family (we're a bunch of travelers, I guess). Here they are, in no particular order:
Israel

The Middle East has remained beyond my grasp. I was tempted several times before I was recently married - but I never found anyone to go with me. It's just not a place to travel by yourself - for either emotional or safety reasons. Every time I would get serious about it, another intifada would break out! I read about the Holy Land almost every day...and want to see it for myself. I actually want to go on an LDS tour, to really experience it on a spiritual level. This leads me to the next place, which is....
Egypt

No surprise here, as these two go hand-in-hand. A very dangerous place for Western tourists these days, but I would take the risk. I'm not so much interested in Cairo - just the pyramids and the Nile River.
Kenya

South Africa can qualify here, as well - at least portions of it. I don't need to see a huge amount of wildlife - a little safari would be quite nice, thank you. I would love to cruise around in a Land Rover, examining another of Heavenly Father's awesome creations.
St. Petersberg

Even though I've been to Russia - I've never made it to St. Petersberg. The Hermitage Museum has been calling to me for a long time. My wife has been there and talks romantically about it.
Dubai

I believe this one will be checked off the list sooner than any other. The crazy amount of construction, over-the-top skyscrapers, and man-made islands make it a true spectacle. I would also love to wander through the spice markets. [UPDATE: I made it to Dubai in 2010, and to Abu Dahbi in 2011]
Tunisia

Call me crazy - four of these locations are in the desert! However, there' s an interesting history to Tunis and (nerd alert) it wouldn't hurt to find out where they filmed the original Star Wars movie.
Kuala Lumpur

This one could also fall into the "done" category within the next year. I've managed to skip this part of Malaysia in all my Asian travels. The former "tallest buildings in the world" (Petronas Towers) will soon be seen by these eyes.
Antarctica

I know, I know. What is he thinking? Here's the deal - if I hit Africa, this will be the ONLY continent that Diggity hasn't been to. It's simply an issue of completion. Makes for an interesting conversation-starter. "Did you know that I've been to every continent on the Earth?" Chicks will totally dig that.
Agra, India

Yup, you guessed it - the Taj Mahal. I don't have a strong desire to spend too much time in India, but I can't pass this up.
Bora Bora

I almost took my wife here for our honeymoon - but then I discovered how much it would actually cost to arrange the trip the way I wanted it for her ; ) Moorea will also do just fine - in case you were wondering. I've always been fascinated by Tahiti - particularly when my cousin served a mission in those islands.
1 comment:
You mean I have actually been somewhere you haven't been!!! I find that hard to believe.
I would love to go to Egypt and Israel one day, too.
When Dad and I do our cruise around South America I will get to Antarctica.
Sorry, I guess I can't send you a birthday message because we will be skipping the 24th, but hey that means you will always be a year younger to us ; )
Post a Comment