October 9, 2008

Tokyo, Japan-Part 3


After the experience at KiddyLand, I took C-Rob to one of the "hippest" parts of Tokyo - Harajuku.  If you've ever heard of Gwen Stefani, this is where she draws inspiration for her clothing and music.  It's an area that is full of very, very fashionable clothing and music shops.  Lots of young people wander through these streets, in a variety of crazy hair-styles and dress.  Here's a picture of the entrance to this part of town:



After feeling completely not-hip (just me, not C-Rob), we went to lunch at my favorite noodle shop in all of Japan.  I can't tell you the name of it - I can't read the Japanese characters on the signs ; )  [UPDATE:  I found out that the name is roughly "7 Ingredients" for the broth they use in the noodles]



As you can see, there isn't any English to be found.  In fact, there are no English menus either - and the waiters don't speak English.  In addition, it's a tiny place - perhaps only 14 stools around a triangular counter, with 3 cooks within four feet of your plate.  I'm sure you're wondering - why this place?  You would have to taste the food to understand.  If you like Top Ramen, then you're on your way to understanding.  I've recently learned that the characters actually mean "7 special ingredients" - which explains why it tastes so good.  Here's C-Rob enjoying my favorite meal:


Mmmm-mmm good

While in Shinjuku, we walked around and found a very interesting building.  It reminded me so much of the "Bird's Nest" stadium in Beijing:


In the bottom-right corner, you can see a multi-story dome...really interesting



Downtown Shinjuku

After spending the afternoon working, we went to dinner with some of my dearest friends in Tokyo.  I've known them for over 10 years.  They've now had a chance to meet my wife, son, daughter, brother and sister.  They are lobbying to be at our next family reunion ; )  



We had a great time at a very fashionable restaurant.  More good memories to add to the rest of the trip!

Please come back soon for Part 3....

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

C-rob looks like he's enjoying the noodles???

That building does look like the Birds Nest (which now I have seen ; )

Continue to have a great time. I'll check in again.

Aaron H. said...

what happens in Tokyo stays in Tokyo!

that last picture of your son surrounded by women looked a little suspect...:)