Yes, this saga of the Tokyo trip goes on...
Today was a slower day. I spent the morning on several conference calls - and even held a videoconference with the missionaries in my Ward, for our weekly coordination meeting. I think it was a first for both Elders ; )
After that, I took C-Rob to the Sony Center. This is a must for gadget and electronic freaks...like us.

Think of 4 more floors of this...
I am absolutely a Sony Snob - I tend to favor the Sony brand when it comes to high-end video, television and camera products. The Sony Center is a showcase for their entire line of consumer goods - a multi-floor showroom of MP3 players, televisions, laptops, Blu-Ray players, videocameras, still cameras...you get the idea. I fell in love with a high-def camcorder that records directly to memory stick. It's brand-new and just a beautiful piece of technology.

They had a huge display of camera lenses. I don't understand all of it, but my wife sure does. I'm glad she wasn't there to drool all over the floor...

One last picture from the Sony Center - this is the thinnest TV I've ever seen. For those that pay attention to electronics, it's an OLED-lit screen. The "way of the future" - but if you look closely, it's only a few millimeters thick:
Then, I took C-Rob to Tokyo Tower. This is a replica of the Eiffel Tower, but it was built in the 50s, and is just a wee bit taller than the original (by 100 meters):
The observation deck is about 150 meters high - it offers gorgeous views of Tokyo. You have to understand that Tokyo is a massive city. Basically, it reaches as far as you can possible see - even at this height.
This shot gives you an idea of the density of the city - so much is packed into Tokyo
We had a good time - it was a mostly-clear day. It was fun for C-Rob to connect the different places that we had visited over the last few days, with the overhead view of the entire city.
After the observation deck, we visited a small amusement park within the Tower. As usual, we couldn't let some photo opportunities pass:

I pulled this from a trip to Japan in '94 - I guess we think alike...
Next, we visited the shrine at Yasukuni Jinja. This particular Shinto shrine is small, but focused on remembering war dead.
Another beautiful gate (tori)
People offering up prayers to the spirits enshrined here...
Founded about 140 years ago, it's said that over 2 million "spirits" are enshrined here - those that have died in a variety of Japanese wars. Several are famous military heroes, but it includes women and children as well. I don't have time to talk about the complexity of emotions for Japanese citizens, when it comes to World War II. Let me know if you want to know more. There is a museum attached to the shrine, and inside there's memorabilia from several Japanese conflicts:
A Japanese Mitsubishi "Zero" from WWII
We finished the day in Shibuya - a really popular shopping district, full of traditional department stores, but also trendy clothing and music stores. The main intersection in Shibuya is quite famous...with literally hundreds of people crossing in all directions (at the same time), it's what many people recognize from Japan:
It may be hard to tell, but there are hundreds of people trying to cross the street at once...
We had an awesome Yakitori dinner. Yakitori is grilled chicken speared on sticks. All different parts of the chicken - thighs, skin, liver, etc. can be used for yakitori, but we stuck with breast and thigh meat:

Mmmm..mmmm...good
We also ordered some asparagus skewers, as well. It was a great meal - especially when C-Rob and I had to remove our shoes to sit at the table ; ) We had a terrific time on our last night in Japan.

5 comments:
that "like father, like son" picture was the best!
Great pictures--love them all.
Safe travels.
Awesome pictures. loved the camera lenses. I really love the shot of Chris on the furry creature that looks like the one you are riding.
How cool!!! Some day we'll have to come with you ;)
Looks like you guys had a blast!
Post a Comment