Today, I find myself in Connecticut....no wait.....now we're in New York....no wait...now we're in New Jersey....no wait, now we're in Delaware. OK, you get the idea. We're on a road trip. We're headed down to Washington, D.C. for the Fourth of July!
From our house, it's about an 8 hour drive. Anyone who really knows me, will understand that I'm not a big fan of riding in a car for hours and hours. I don't know why, as I spend an inordinate amount of time in planes. However, in the car - I can't really read, work on the computer, watch movies, etc. I guess I could do some of that, but it would be rude to ignore the others in the car - or run the car off the road. Neither sounds like the right thing to do. I certainly possess the genetic markers for long-distance car travel. My father has honed his skill in this area, so that he can drive for hours on end. My younger brother also has this ability. What happened to me? I suppose it comes from years of being very, very productive on airplanes. Even when I'm on an 18-hour flight to Australia, I find plenty to do. I'm going to have to figure out why I can't deal with car travel.
Our first big stop on the trip was in New Jersey. We're touring the every-lovely New Jersey Turnpike. I made my wife go an extra 20 miles on the turnpike, just so we could stop at a rest area that had Nathan's Hot Dogs. What are Nathan's, you might ask? First, you have to understand that I'm quite a hot dog connoisseur. I've been a fan of hot dogs for all of my life. I think that during my teen years, I went for a straight week on nothing but hot dogs (spare me the lecture on nitrates). As I've searched the globe for great hot dogs - one of my all-time favorites is Nathan's. This is a restaurant chain that you find mostly in the Northeast. Nathan's begun in 1916, as part of Coney Island, in Brooklyn. I've made the pilgrimage out to Brooklyn, to worship at the original Nathan's grill (I would swear that the cooking grease is from 1916, but don't let that creep you out...it's a blessing). At any rate, I've found Nathan's restaurants in such crazy places as Tokyo and the Atlanta airport. Here's a picture from today's feast:

If only I could get paid to do this...
The rest was fun...and we pushed on through Delaware, Maryland (I wish we could go to Camden Yards) and Virginia. We hit traffic on the "beltway" around D.C., but it sure was nice to come around a bend in the road, and see this beauty:

Washington, D.C. Temple
We arrived at my wife's brother's home and will get to spend our nation's birthday at our nation's capital!
1 comment:
Hot dogs? Really? Maybe it's glad you are diabetic for who knows what else you might be addicted to!
Post a Comment