
I know, I know...you think all I do is go to conferences. I get that...I really do. This week, I'm in Austin, Texas to present at the SXSW Conference. A little explanation is required. First, I'm still "on the road", as this is the second conference in a row, and the second week that I've been gone from home. I'm getting a little tired of living out of a suitcase. But don't feel sorry for me ; )
The SXSW (know as the South-by-Southwest) Conference has been around for over twenty years, and combines a film festival, music conference and interactive show - all into one.

I was there as part of the "interactive" show. I hosted a panel on what we like to call "Eye-Def Acting". The term "eye-def" is meant to be better than high-def...because the human eye is capable of distinguishing more than what's available in HD. The topic was all about the future of graphics in films & games - and the role that virtual actors will play in those entertainment mediums. I was lucky enough to pull together several experts to be on the panel. First, was a 3D animator, who worked on Avatar, as well as the up-coming Iron Man 2. He's an old friend of mine and an amazing artist. For those that saw Avatar, he was responsible for the scene in which Neytiri drinks water from that giant palm frond. Pretty cool, huh? The second panelist just received an Academy Award for technical achievement in film. He's a professor at USC and has pioneered a technology that "captures" a full-body scan of actors, to use in the computer. His team worked on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, to create a digital version of Brad Pitt. The third panelist is a Senior Producer at Ubisoft (a major game developer). The last member of the panel is a reporter for the NY Times and Wired Magazine. They were all fantastic and we had a great discussion of the topic. If you want to know more about the discussion - just let me know.
This picture really sums of the show. It's very much a show that "regular" folks attend, instead of just industry "insiders". Because of the heavy influence of web developers and alternative bands - I saw a huge number of posters that were simply plastered on columns inside the conference center.

A scene you just won't find at other conferences...
What made the trip really great, was that my son and his wife drove all the way from Dallas, to hang out. We had a really good time. I treated them to my new favorite restaurant in Austin - Rudy's:

Some of the best BBQ briskette that I've ever had
We also toured the Texas state capitol building (a beautiful piece of architecture), and the downtown area:
A cute couple in front of the capitol
Me and my little boy...
Inside the capitol building, you'll find a gorgeous rotunda. Circling the room are portraits of all the past governors. It was fun to see the images of Ann Richards and George Bush.
It was great to see both of them. I was lucky that they both work for schools and it was Spring Break for both of them.
I feel lucky to be a speaker at SXSW - it's something I've wanted to do for quite a while. I can now scratch that one off my "list". I'm now anxious to return home and take care of everything that's been "piling" up while I've been gone ; )
3 comments:
I didn't realize what a collection of panelists you had, very cool.
Mmmmmm Rudy's...
You guys suck.
I mean this in the nicest way possible.
I have to agree--you have pretty great kids ; )
Post a Comment