April 23, 2010

New York, New York


This week, I took a quick trip to New York City. I was headed to the Big Apple to meet with a reporter from the New York Times.


The great thing about living in Boston, is that Manhattan is only 4 hours away - by car. On this trip, I decided to fly. When I arrived in NYC, I went to the hotel - the Renaissance Hotel on 57th. They told me that they only had one room left, and it was for me. However, the had a "leak" in the room, so they were going to move me to another Renaissance hotel for the evening. I didn't mind, as these things happen every once-in-a-while. It rarely does any good to get upset or complain. With the amount of travel I'm involved in, you just roll with it. The interesting thing is that they were moving me to the Renaissance Hotel at Times Square.


...and to make it better, they would pay for my stay that night. Bonus! I just wish this had happened on a personal trip...not when my company is paying the bill ; )

Needless to say, the scene just outside the hotel was crazy. For those that have been to New York, you know what Times Square is like - tons of neon light and giant video screens. People walking around at all hours of the night. Lots of interesting shops. I know several people in my family would like to live at the Hershey's Store or the M&M Store (just feet away from each other).

Here are some pictures I took from just outside the hotel lobby on Times Square:

Amazing, isn't it?

I don't care how many times I've been there...still an amazing city

The interview with the New York Times reporter went well. We were there to show off our latest graphics cards for the PC. They are capable of running three video monitors at a time. That may sound like a lot - but these days, folks are multitasking so much on their computers, that the extra screen real estate makes a big difference. For people that play games, it makes the "scene" bigger and you can see more of the game action. But wait...there's more! Our latest graphics card will actually run SIX monitors:

Playing a driving game on six monitors


Sounds crazy, you say? Have you watched today's teen-agers use a computer?? They're using FaceBook, watching a video on YouTube, chatting with Instant Messenger, and surfing the Web...all at the same time ; )

The interview went well - we'll see if it actually turns into a published article. You just never know....

No comments: