
This is the third post on our Christmas trip to Utah. To see the previous post, click here.
Part of every visit to Utah is the chance to visit Deseret Bookstore. This is my big chance to look through lots of amazing products: reference books for teaching at Church, inspirational videos, and quiet toys/books for the kids at Church. Now that I serve as the Young Men's President in our Ward, I was paying particular attention to good books about Scouting and missionary preparation. I usually get carried away with purchases at this bookstore, despite the fact that they now have a large number of books published in electronic format. Here's a peek at what we acquired this trip:
We're gonna need a bigger library...
My wife's family gathers together every year around Christmas-time. This year, they gathered at an ice rink in Provo, Utah. This rink was one of the competition sites of the 2002 Winter Olympics:
After spending time catching-up with the extended family, we had the ice rink all to ourselves. Most of the space was blocked-off for family members to actually ice skate. The remainder was left "rough" so that we could pull the smallest kids in sleds, across the ice.
Our little L had a great time. We brought a small sled that she fit right into. As you can see, towards the end of this video clip, she's waving her arms with delight as we push her across the ice:
Mysteriously, we always seem to find a great new place to eat. It never fails on our visits to Utah. We have the same luck in Austin, to be sure. This time, we had a chance to experience J Dawgs in Provo:
Photo courtesy of J Dawgs
J Dawgs is an awesome hot dog stand, that has expanded into a full hot dog restaurant. It's located just off the BYU campus - a legend among the students at Brigham Young University. The view from the stand (above) is incredible.
My wife waits in line, patiently....
One of the things that I love about this place, is that they only make two things: hot dogs and polish sausages. That's it.
The key to a good J Dawgs experience is their "special sauce" - it tasted like a BBQ sauce, with a whole lot more. The dogs are grilled right in front of you. I can say, as an official hot dog connoisseur, that this is a GREAT hot dog. I'm still putting Casper's and Nathan's at the top, but the J Dawgs is not to be missed.
As most of you know, my wife is a performer with the Time Out For Women tour. She has the opportunity to perform with some amazing authors, speakers and musicians across North America. After Christmas, the staff at Deseret Book held a holiday party for all the TOFW presenters. I went along as what I like to call "arm candy" ; ) The collection of talent in one room was amazing:
Hillary Weeks, Mary Ellen Edmunds, Mariama Kellon, Emily Freeman, Jenny Oaks Baker, Super Wife, Brooke Stone
The evening was a blast, with amazing stories and some truly entertaining personalities. I'm just glad that we happened to be in town for the event.
That's it for now...next up - New Year's Eve!




No comments:
Post a Comment