This week, I was in San Francisco for the 2013 version of the Game Developers Conference (GDC):
The attendance this year was probably over 25,000. Everyone gathers to talk about methods and techniques for making games - programming, sound, story, game design, video effects...you name it. They also have several sessions on the business side.
For my company, we decided to hold a press conference. Each year, more press come to GDC and we wanted to capitalize on that fact. I was asked to speak at the event, talking about my company's domination in the world of gaming consoles. We've provided the technology for 5 of the last 6 consoles, and we're technology partners for both of the announced next-gen consoles (Wii U and PlayStation 4). Usually, I don't have very many pictures of my speaking engagements. This time, I hired a photographer for the event, for very little money. It was actually my wife, doing our company a big favor:
The next day, the actual conference opened. My company had a booth on the floor of the event, much like other trade shows. I was actually in charge of the booth and was pretty proud of the work. Here are some pictures of the AMD booth:
This is the new Tomb Raider game, played on five screens at once ; )
In the booth, we were showing a new technology that take your image from a web cam, and using your facial expressions to animate a character on-screen. It was kind of fun to see a game character talking with my voice ; )
At least a third of our booth was meeting rooms, to allow us the chance to chat with game developers and talk about ways to work closer together. I arranged to have chocolate in every room - each piece had our corporate logo on it:
Around the convention floor, there were lots of other booth. Some interesting, some not. The Nintendo booth was incredible boring:
The Sony PlayStation booth had more life to it - especially when they were showing the new PlayStation 4 controller:
One crazy company had created a booth floor that looked like lava was erupting from a sword that was stuck in the middle. I have no idea how much this cost...I certainly didn't have a budget like that!
One other piece of technology that I had a good look at - the new "virtual reality" goggles from a company named Oculus VR. Basically, a game is rendered in both a left and right screen, then combined together to give a 3D look on a small screen inside the goggles. When you moved your head, it moved the game on the screen, like you were looking around a virtual environment. It looked really cool. This is only a prototype and the final product will be much smaller and lighter. I don't know how many people will buy it, but it's a unique way to experience games.
That's it for GDC 2013. The game business is about to have a really good year with the new consoles. More games are being made for smartphones and tablets/iPads. It's a good time to be a game developer ; )
The Sony PlayStation booth had more life to it - especially when they were showing the new PlayStation 4 controller:
One crazy company had created a booth floor that looked like lava was erupting from a sword that was stuck in the middle. I have no idea how much this cost...I certainly didn't have a budget like that!
One other piece of technology that I had a good look at - the new "virtual reality" goggles from a company named Oculus VR. Basically, a game is rendered in both a left and right screen, then combined together to give a 3D look on a small screen inside the goggles. When you moved your head, it moved the game on the screen, like you were looking around a virtual environment. It looked really cool. This is only a prototype and the final product will be much smaller and lighter. I don't know how many people will buy it, but it's a unique way to experience games.
That's it for GDC 2013. The game business is about to have a really good year with the new consoles. More games are being made for smartphones and tablets/iPads. It's a good time to be a game developer ; )




















No comments:
Post a Comment