Dear Friends:
I spent part of last week traveling to the United Kingdom. Specifically, I was headed to Cambridge. I managed to spend some time in and around London, as well. The reason for the trip? I'm interviewing with a technology company that is headquartered in the UK. But more on that later...
I started my 13-hour journey in Austin. The best part about having some extra time in the Austin airport? Grabbing a briskette sandwich at Salt Lick BBQ. It's one that you shouldn't miss:
I landed at Heathrow Airport and made my way into London via Paddington Station. Yes, the little bear you may have read about in books, is named after this major train station. I love this station, as I've used it as a "home base" for several trips to London. The interior is always fascinating to me:
The craziest part is during rush hour, when thousands of people are moving through this station to connect to a train, bus or the London Underground (subway). It's a vibrant place with things constantly in motion.
My wife and I traveled here, shortly after we were married. We had a routine of eating at this little stand every single morning. I enjoyed a bagel sandwich in honor of that ritual...
Since you arrive in Europe early in the morning, I didn't want to go directly to the interviews - and fall asleep in front of those folks. So, I traveled a day early and decided to spend some tourist time, before scheduling the interviews for the following day. That left me with several hours of spare time - which usually doesn't happen on a business trip. I spent the entire afternoon doing something that I will never...ever...forget. A little background is in order.
As most of my readers know, I'm a big fan of the Boy Scouts. I had a very positive experience as a young man, and I have devoted a great deal of time to "giving back" to the Scouting community - to enhance the experience for today's Boy Scouts. It means a lot to me, both as a way to build moral character, and to help young men accomplish things they never thought they could do. Recently, I completed the first part of Wood Badge Training. This is Scouting's premiere adult training course. It has a history that goes back to Lord Baden-Powell in 1919. He created the first Wood Badge course, to help train adult leaders. He held the very first session of Wood Badge at a place called Gilwell Park. Since then, leaders from all over the world have traveled here to experience Wood Badge. Because of the growth in Scouting in the U.S. since 1910, there have been local versions of Wood Badge offered across the country.
When I knew that I was coming to the UK, I spent some time trying to figure out where this park was located - and I managed to navigate the train and bus system to reach it. It is situated outside of Chingford, right next to the Epping Forest. This is about a 30 minute train ride from western London.
To say that I was excited, when I finally hiked the last 2 miles to reach it, is clearly an understatement:
The "axe in the log" - seen on top of the sign, is actually the Wood Badge logo. You'll see it throughout Gilwell Park.
To me, Gilwell Park is sacred ground. I discovered, in my research, that the Scouting headquarters for the UK was also located here. They still use the facility for Wood Badge training. On weekends, Scout units from all over the country camp here. There's over 108 acres to take advantage of. It's a little camping oasis in the middle of the English countryside.
On the grounds, you'll find the White House. This was built in 1754, replacing the original hunting lodge. It's a beautifully maintained building. Part of it has been converted to a conference center and hotel, for use in corporate training.
This is the back of the White House. This small wall is actually made from a parapet of the famous London Bridge. In 1831, when the bridge was replaced, this section came to Gilwell Park.
This is a statue of Lord Baden-Powell, which was donated to his wife by the Boy Scouts of Mexico in 1968, after the Olympics.
This is a statue that goes by the name The Boy Scout. The Boy Scouts of America donated it in 1966.
As I indicated, the area is used by Scouts on a regular basis. This is a giant climbing wall that I'm sure is very popular:
On the grounds are several houses of worship, including a Buddhist shrine, Jewish synagogue and this Christian sanctuary. An Islamic mosque is also under construction.
Just touring the grounds would have been enough for me. However, upon my research, I found that Gilwell houses the Scouting archives, including many items that belonged to Lord Baden-Powell (BP). I managed to find one of the archivists and convince them to let me into the archives. None of these items are in a museum, nor on display. I was like the veritable kid in a candy store. These might not impress most of you, but for anyone that is involved in Scouting - this is huge.
The archivist showed me the first manuscript and hand-written notes for the original Boy Scout Handbook. It's titled Scouting For Boys.
These are the notes from BP as to how to organize the information, and what should belong in the book. This book is what helped launch the entire Scouting movement.
The resulting hand-written notes were compiled into a typed manuscript. You can actually see BP's writing in the margins, making corrections to the manuscript:
The resulting manual was an amazing product that helped guide the fledgling Scouting organization in the UK, then to the rest of the world.
In UK Scouting, the Silver Wolf is the highest award given by the organization. It represents individuals who have made significant contributions to the Scouting movement. The equivalent in the U.S. is the Silver Beaver, which was created in 1925. This is BP's Wolf award that he actually wore:
This is an actual photograph of the very first Wood Badge course. I love the uniforms on these men...so classic:
In Wood Badge, when you complete the training and finish all five of your major projects, you're awarded wood beads. These came from beads that BP had captured from an African chieftain in the Boer Wars of the 1880s. These are actually what give Wood Badge its name. I convinced the archivist to let me hold BP's very own Wood Badge beads...a real honor:
Another big symbol of Wood Badge is something that BP brought back from his military experience in Africa. It's a Kudu Horn - a musical instrument made from the horn of the Kudu antelope. In Scouting history, it was used to summon the very first Scouts that ever gathered under BP's leadership. Today, you'll find one at almost every Wood Badge course. I was lucky enough to hold one of BP's original Kudu horns:
Fortunately, the mouth piece had long since withered away, so I wasn't allowed to try and play it ; ) Over the next two hours, the archivist showed me dozens of documents and memorabilia. I don't think he's had that many visitors from the U.S., nor someone as big of a Scout nerd as I am...
I was able to see the original prototypes for merit badges. These were called proficiency badges:
Hard to take a picture in the archive lighting..sorry
With a little more sweet-talking, I convinced them to open the gift shop, where I was able to add some beautiful patches to my Scout patch collection. It wasn't too hard, as money usually helps pave the way : ; )
Overall, it was just an absolute dream to have experienced the holdings in the Scouting archive. It may not mean much to you - but hopefully you understand just how much this meant to me. To have walked the Gilwell Park grounds, and held some of BP's original possessions, was a bucket-list item that I'll never forget.
Thanks, as always, for reading! Part two will take us to the actual city of Cambridge...



1 comment:
This was so fun--I will have to send a link to dad so he can read it. If we ever head back to the UK we will definitely make a stop!
Post a Comment