April 15, 2015

Wood Badge Training - Bastrop, TX - Part 2


This is the second post about my experience at Wood Badge Training.  If you want to see the first post, just click here.

As reported in the last blog post, Wood Badge is Scouting’s premier training course - aimed at adult Scout leaders.  It's composed of two weekends, and a series of five projects (to be completed within 18 months of your course).  The training is interactive and intense - with hands-on use of the principles that are taught during the course.

This post will showcase some of the experiences from the second weekend.  This time, the weather forecast was much nicer, and I decided to bring a few more comforts to make the outdoor experience a little easier:

I'm not ashamed to bring a pillow to a campout...

Our patrol was responsible for handling the flag ceremony.  I was paired with one of my friends and we handled the "historical flag" - usually a flag from U.S. history that had a story that went with it:



The crazy thing that happened, came next.  The wind picked up in a major way and pushed the flag pole, so that it was about to fall to the ground.  Several of us caught the pole - in time - and secured it to the ground.  It was the most unusual flag ceremony that I've been involved in ; )


Each patrol was responsible for a major "project" during the break - some kind of mixed media presentation that would address a problem that exists across all areas of Scouting.  Our team had prepared an amazing PowerPoint presentation to illustrate ideas for helping adult leaders engage in training.  The sad part was that, when we reached camp, we were told that the presentation had to be moved outdoors and our project wouldn't work.  So, in good Scouting fashion, we came together and created something brand-new to adjust to the new environment.  We quickly converted the presentation into a flip-chart and display that could be used outdoors:


During the break, one of our patrol members worked on our troop flag - and it turned out to be INCREDIBLE.  He's a genius and fully realized our initial plan...and more.  The leatherwork was fantastic, the colors were a nice touch, and it was really impressive:


We participated in some great presentations on the differences between generations of Scouts and Scouters - and how to adjust your expectations to meet the unique characteristics of each generation:



We then participated in a series of "puzzle" games - where we used specific tactics to analyze problems and try to solve them.  The resulting skills could be used to solve a myriad of problems that present themselves in running a Scouting organization.



Our Patrol Guide made the cutest little paper displays for us - and then filled them with candy, to keep us awake for the rest of the day!


Yet another project that we completed during the break - preparing a skit for the evening campfire.  We took a very traditional Scout skit and decided to adapt it to all of the Wood Badge critters.  One of our patrol members has an incredible artistic family, and these masks were just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G to look at.  We had to make each critter appear to be mean and nasty:

Bobwhite, Beaver, Fox (not mean and nasty)

Eagle, Bear and Owl

We rehearsed for the skit, and felt like we were very ready for the evening's performance!


Here's a shot of part of the skit.  I served as the narrator, and really had to "ham it up" to make fun of the rest of the patrols...all in the name of friendly competition, of course:


The next day, we spent time going through all of the patrol projects.  Some were really amazing - including this portable trade show on recruiting in the various Scouting groups...really well done:


With a little bit of paint, glue and a print-out of the PowerPoint presentation, we managed to create a display for people to see some of the solutions that we talked about:


That afternoon, we grabbed all of our gear and took a short hike to a remote area of the Lost Pines Scout Camp.  As a patrol, we spent several hours together, just talking and preparing our own dinner.  We really lucked out - we managed to get one of the more beautiful camping spots in the entire area.  Our campsite was tucked right next to the lake...the view was just incredible:


We proceeded to make a special dinner.  The menu for the evening included a combination of pasta with pesto and Alfredo sauces.  We all learned a new and unique way to prepare this dish, but using a few plastic bags, spices and oils, and a boiling pot of water:


Really roughing it...

The end result was simply delicious.  We added some chicken to get a little protein, and had an absolute blast learning from each other, during the process.


As we awoke the next morning at sunrise, a little fog was drifting across the lake, making our campsite even more beautiful:


We quickly broke camp and headed back to our final day of the formal Wood Badge training.


Part of the final day at Wood Badge included hanging our patrol flag in the rafters of the Lost Pines dining hall.  It would join the flags from lots of other patrols over the last decade or so.  We were proud for future Scouts and Wood Badge participants to see our flag flying in that building.



When the end of the day finally arrived, we had enjoyed more well-planned instruction and advice.  We elected a Patrol Leader from our team that would try to keep everyone motivated and moving towards completing their tickets.  My patrol elected me to the position, and I happily accepted.  I will gather the team over the next several months, so that we can keep the spirit of Wood Badge alive and well:


I can't say enough about the program - and the staff that delivered the program for us in this session.  The quality of the training is amazing.  It's as good as any expensive corporate training the I've received over the years.  I loved the brotherhood that developed over the six days together, and can't wait to catch up to those folks in the years to come.  I will spend time encouraging other Scout leaders to attend Wood Badge, as it not only helps to build stronger programs for the boys, but the principles can be applied at work (and home).

I met several LDS leaders at Wood Badge - in my own patrol, on staff, and in the other patrols.  It was great to compare notes on ways to improve Scouting within the Church.  I felt like the experience that I've had with my calling as Stake Young Men's President, can benefit some of the other Stakes in the area.  I hope I get to stay here in Austin, and help others to really integrate Scouting into their Young Men's programs.   For now, I will cherish the memories from Wood Badge for years to come!