November 8, 2017

Bastrop, Texas - Wood Badge


Dear Friends:

In both October and early November, I served on the staff of Scouting's highest level of adult training - Wood Badge.  It's a program designed to improve the leadership skills of adult Scout leaders, which should, in turn, enrich the experience of each youth in Scouting.

The course consists of six days over two full weekends (all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday) at Lost Pines Scout Camp. I've served on staff before. This time, I served as Quartermaster (QM). Typical duties for a QM include lots of "behind the scenes" work. We make sure that everyone is fed, and supplied with the materials they might need to get the job done.

Originally, I was really intimidated to serve as QM. I'm not know for cooking for large groups of people. I've let any culinary skills atrophy since I married my wife (she's so much better at it than I). However, I've really picked up some new skills along the way. Wise people have always said to tackle the things you fear the most...and this was definitely one of them.

Also, I'm used to leading "in front" - being in front of groups and in the "spotlight". As a QM, you have the most direct opportunity to serve others...mostly without being seen. It was a humbling experience. It afforded me a perspective on the course that I didn't have before. I would recommend all people that want to staff Wood Badge, to serve as QM.

In addition, the Course Director asked that I also serve as Chaplain. This meant that I would plan and conduct an interfaith service on the first Sunday. I would then train Chaplain's Aides from each group of participants, so they could in turn conduct an interfaith service on the second weekend.

The staff typically starts about 6-8 months before the course, getting the content and timing of the course right. A big part of that is logistics. These images are specifically from the actual course.

Here I am, with my official "uniform," ready to star things off:


The participants arrived bright and early the first day. There were about 46 of them in total. One of the methods that we use to teach, is to divide all of them up into "patrols". We organize them exactly the way that a Scout troop would look like. As staff, we're trying to model how a troop should work, particularly with a Senior Patrol Leader in charge. The Scoutmaster (Course Director) is there as back-up, allowing the SPL to lead, like a young man would do in a model troop.


This is me with the Course Director/Scoutmaster on the left, and the Course Advisor (former Course Director) next to me. Both great men, that I really enjoyed working with.


As I said before, making sure folks are fed is an important part of the job. On mornings that we were getting the camp set up, the other QM and I would only have to cook for the staff. One morning, we created a breakfast taco bar - complete with chorizo, sausage, bacon, potatoes, eggs and the rest of the trimmings:


The '"after" picture...as I was too busy "before"

We use both indoor and outdoor facilities for learning environments. In both areas, we bring the patrols together for various presentations and interactive sessions:



We even show them how to hold an ideal campfire. We include all the elements - stories, songs, skits, run-ons - the works. The fire we built wasn't half bad, either ; )


After campfire, the QMs organized what's called a "cracker barrel". This is usually an evening snack and time for mingling with other Scouts.



As I said, I'm usually behind the scenes. However, they asked me to conduct an impromptu discussion on LDS Scouting. Due to some recent membership changes made by out Church, we had a good open forum to talk about how important Scouting is to our faith.


To help the participants learn project-planning, we have them build rockets as a team, and then we launch them using water and air pressure. One of the rockets was over-pressured and exploded on the launch pad. My fellow QM was pumping the air, and I jokingly applied CPR:


On Sunday, we held the first interfaith worship service. It was set right on the lake at Lost Pines - a peaceful setting for that experience. I integrated Christian, Jewish and Hindu religious elements into the service.


Meals are always a crazy time with almost 60 people to feed. We get a lot of help from our Order of the Arrow volunteers.


At one point in the course, we show the movie "October Sky" - stopping at several points to show leadership examples and group dynamics. The movie is about a group of high school boys in the 50s learning to create and launch rockets. To help the participants really enjoy the experience, we arranged for a movie popcorn machine, complete with Moon Pies and Milky Way bars:


 The indoor learning environment looks much like the outdoors - but is air-conditioned/heated for a more comfortable situation.


On the second Sunday, my Chaplain's Aides conducted the interfaith worship service. They did a great job!



One other special thing to note. At the end of the second Saturday, we have the participants all enjoy an evening with no staff. That way, they bond together and the staff get a chance to relax for a bit. The QMs are responsible for a party/feast to celebrate everyone's accomplishments. I was in charge of decorating, and chose a neon/glow-in-the-dark theme. Here are the results:




Also - during that same night, the QMs were "inducted" into the brotherhood of QMs. The fun ceremony included a bit of flour as part of the initiation:



Overall, it was another incredible experience at Wood Badge. I was able to rub shoulders with some talented and dedicated people that simply wanted to help enrich the Scouting program. Even though it's a huge time commitment, I'm still happy to serve these Scout leaders. What a great way to spend your time!

No comments: