Yes, folks...I'm in San Jose again. This time, I'm involved in two big meetings for work - both happening at the same time ; )
The first meeting is a gathering of all my employees from around the globe. I try to bring this team together twice-a-year. This time, the meeting is in California (it's warmer than Boston or Toronto). My team speaks about 8 different languages and live in multiple time-zones. Meeting face-to-face provides a tremendous benefit to the work that we're doing together.
I love to have all my employees together - it gives me a real chance to make sure that everyone is running in the same direction, and explore unique solutions to problems. The world economy is making us think creatively ; )
I usually try to "treat" my team to a group activity when we're together. In Toronto, I've taken them to a Blue Jays baseball game, racing go-karts, etc. This time, I took everyone to a hockey game - the San Jose Sharks vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs.

My Canadian employees were VERY happy...at least when the game began ; ) I was lucky enough to get a ticket right behind the glass (literally on the ice).
I've been to hockey games before, but I've NEVER been able to enjoy a game from this perspective. It was AMAZING! Several times, during the game, the players hit against the glass, right in front of my face. It was an exciting game, that the Sharks won. My employees from Asia and Europe loved it, as well. Here's a quick video that I shot from my seat:
I've been to hockey games before, but I've NEVER been able to enjoy a game from this perspective. It was AMAZING! Several times, during the game, the players hit against the glass, right in front of my face. It was an exciting game, that the Sharks won. My employees from Asia and Europe loved it, as well. Here's a quick video that I shot from my seat:
Yeah...these were good seats...
At the same time, all of my executive "peers" from around the company have gathered just 15 min. down the road in a big meeting. We're looking at the company's strategies for 2009. Again, the slow-down in the from global economy means making adjustments to what we'll do in the coming year. It's a good time to network with a vast array of other leaders in the company - figuring out what we can do to help each other.
I'm staying in downtown San Jose at a hotel called The Fairmont:

The best part is that there is a park right across the street from the hotel. They are holding a special event called Christmas in the Park. When my kids were little, I would bring them to this event each year. The basic idea is that several organizations in the area create Christmas trees and holiday "scenes" that are on display:



I haven't been down here for several years. The event has defninitely grown in size, but it still maintains the same "flavor" from years ago. It makes me miss my family, while on this trip.


4 comments:
Yay for Christmas in the Park!
Wow! I didn't know about the Christmas display. That's pretty neat.
Christmas in the Park sounds fun! What a great tradition.
Not quite the face plant into the boards that I was hoping for, but definitely GOOD seats!
Post a Comment