April 29, 2009

Seattle, WA-Part 1


Greetings friends! As you can tell from the frequency of posts to this travel blog, I'm not traveling as much as usual...and I've been a little busy. However, today I'm in Seattle. I'm here to visit one of the technical Meccas in North America....Redmond, Washington. This is the home of Microsoft. I'm here for a series of meetings with different groups at Microsoft.  The company is so large that you could be here for days, meeting with a variety of kingdoms inside Bill Gates' company.

My first stop was at Microsoft Studios. This is a full video-production facility, in the middle of the MS campus. Microsoft was making some videos about the upcoming Windows 7 and I was chosen to represent my company as a spokesperson. Here's a short clip of one of the videos:


The best part of coming to Seattle, is the chance to visit my daughter. She's currently working on her doctorate at the University of Washington, in Space Physics. We had a chance to walk around campus on a gorgeous day:



She took me to her laboratory research facility, where her team is working on an experiment that will see the release of high-altitude weather balloons above Antarctica, with technology for scientific measurements inside. Pretty cool, huh? Here's a snapshot of my little girl working in the lab with a digital oscilloscope:



My daughter, the mad scientist...

That evening, we met up with her fiancé. He's a great guy and we had a chance to catch-up over dinner. My daughter wanted to try a new BBQ place. It was an elegant meal, as you can tell from this photo:


I've been meaning to visit her for several months and I'm really glad I had the opportunity this week. Tomorrow holds more meetings with Microsoft....wish me luck!

2 comments:

Macy said...

Campus looks so beautiful! It's nice to see that it's actually spring somewhere. :) Especially since we had summer here yesterday

Yvonne said...

Some things are just plain scary.

I'm trying to debate the whole google reader thing, too. Seriously considering shutting down the whole blog thing. Starting to feel overwhelmed.