June 15, 2010

Los Angeles - Part 2


Welcome to Day 2 & 3 of E3 (for yesterday's post, go here). In-between meetings I had a chance to take some pictures and shoot some video.

One of the big themes this year is 3D. You can't go to the movie theater without a 3D movie being shown right now. In addition, several TV manufacturers are bringing out 3D TVs, to get people to buy newer high-def sets. Gaming is no exception, as Sony is trying to push 3D as the latest innovation in gaming with the PlayStation 3 (PS3). They had several games on display, but you had to wear special 3D glasses for each game:


Another big push this year is for different kinds of controllers - or different ways to interact with the games. In yesterday's post, I showed you the new Xbox Kinect. Sony introduced the Sony Move - which is a complete rip-off of the Nintendo Wii. The difference is that it also uses a camera to determine a player's position. This means that you can "interact" with objects on the screen, like this game about pets:


I managed to get another video of an Xbox Kinect in action. This time, it was a driving game. Again, there is a camera...and you don't need any controller. Watch these girls take to the road...


One of my family's favorite games is "Just Dance" for the Wii. It was a huge hit at last year's Christmas Dessert Party. I'm happy to say that there will be a Just Dance 2, coming this fall:



Actually, "Just Dance" has actually done really, really well. So well, in fact, that it's spawned several imitators. With the introduction of the Xbox Kinect, the dance games are really interesting. One standout is Dance Central, from the folks that brought you Rock Band and the original Guitar Hero:



The Nintendo booth was massive, as usual:


Harmonix also showed off the new Rock Band 3. Now, you can add a keyboard to the group of instruments. Along with the vocal harmonies, this means that up to 7 people can play at the same time:


The list of songs for Rock Band is getting pretty long. They created this HUGE display that had all of the songs listed...there were hundreds. Check out the scale:


At the Disney booth, there was a really cool display for the game based on the upcoming film "Tron":


I leave you with what I thought was the strangest game at E3. This is a high-thrill, intense action game. It's for the Nintendo Wii...and it's all about curling hair. Seriously, I'm not joking:


That's it for this year. I hope you enjoyed some of the images...and got a little taste for this amazing show.

Tonight is Game 7 of the NBA Finals...right next door to the show. The traffic is already crazy ; )

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Crazy that's all I can say ; )

Love the thought of not needing a controller.

I love Just Dance--I have so much fun with it. (It's something I do if I'm ever feeling down--because I can laugh, laugh, and laugh some more. I stink, but who cares ; )

Now regarding the curling hair one--is it to learn or a game?