February 5, 2011

Ogden, Utah - Part 1


This week, my friends, I've traveled with my family to Utah.  This time, it's not a business trip, nor a vacation.  This trip was for my wife's debut performance as part of the Time Out For Women 2011 national tour.  This multi-city program is designed to uplift and inspire women of all ages and walks-of-life.  While spiritual in nature, TOFW has been around for ten years and has inspired a core group of fans across the U.S.



Over the last two years, my wife has created a one-woman cabaret show that tells her unique life story.  It's a wonderful combination of songs and dialogue that talk about overcoming obstacles and embracing motherhood (in all its forms).  Her show was noticed by the folks at Deseret Book (who created TOFW) and they've worked with her to enhance the show for the TOFW audience.  Along with this, my wife recorded an album, containing most of the songs from the show.


It's been an incredible year, culminating in her first performance as part of the tour.  The tour opened in Ogden, Utah at the Browning Center on the campus of Weber State University.  The venue held about 2,000 people - about 99.5% were women.


I was lucky enough to attend the performance.  I can honestly say that this was the BEST performance that I've ever seen my wife involved with.  I've been to every single one of her performances for this show of hers - but this one was simply outstanding.  Now, I'm sure that everyone thinks I'm biased...and I am.  However, you had to see the hundreds of women weeping and laughing during my wife's performance:




Her accompanist is one of her best friends.  She's actually the one that inspired my wife to take this journey, to create this show.  She's an incredible piano player in her own right, and the combination of the two is a treat to hear and feel.

I could go on about specific songs and moments from her performance.  However, I'll just let you know that it ended with a standing ovation.  Afterwards, dozens of women approached my wife inside the theater, to tell her how much the messages and music meant to them.



I think the most surreal moment was when several women, who had purchased her album in the lobby, approached her to autograph their copies:


Yup - my wife is truly a rockstar ; )  I'm terribly proud of her - more than I can put into words for a blog. The coming year is going to be very tough - trying to balance my wife's tour schedule, with my increasingly difficult work schedule.  However, if I'm truly proud and supportive of her achievement, then we'll find a way to make it all work.  Watching her truly realize her dreams is something that very few husbands have the opportunity to witness.  Way to go, honey!

5 comments:

Aaron H. said...

Whitney is the dream weaver. Congrats to Macy.

Emily said...

Way to go Macy!!! I can't wait to see it.

Yvonne said...

So glad. Hope to be able to see it one day.

Abaker said...

Love the dress she wore!

Dana said...

SOOOO awesome. How great she has someone like you supporting her - it's the icing on the yummy cake.