This week, I'm in sunny San Diego, California. I'm here to attend the 2012 International Comic Con. This is the second post about the trip. You can find the first post here.
When we left the last post, I was showing you some of the unique things on the convention floor. I've got plenty of additional pictures...
Sweet collection of hats...
I have no idea who the girl is...I couldn't take a picture of Spongebob by himself ; )
I'm not sure I'd like this on display in my house...
Even basketball players have action figures....
One shop will create a custom "wand" for you...
There were several amazing sculptures. While they may have been depictions of videogame or movie characters, there's no denying the artistry involved:
Several of the bigger movie studios were promoting upcoming films...especially those aimed at sci-fi or fantasy fans. You had Total Recall:
And a film lots and lots of Comic Con fans are waiting for...The Hobbit:
This brings up another part of Comic Con. In addition to the show floor, there are HUGE rooms at the convention center that host "panels" for discussions about various films and TV shows. Each of the studios bring their biggest starts to appear on these panels - to the delight of the audience. Each session allows attendees to ask questions of the panels. Shows like Big Bang Theory, Once Upon A Time and Fringe, movies like The Avengers, Spiderman, Total Recall, etc. all had their stars there. I don't have any pictures - because the lines to get into these panels are mind-blowing. Outside the convention center, they started the lines at about 4am, for sessions that didn't start for 5 or 6 hours later! Talk about the true definition of "fan".
At least they're in tents...you can't see how far back that these go...
Hard to see with the lovely flowers blocking...but these tents go way, way back...all full!!!
I was surprised to see so many kids at the show. One of the big draws was the Lego booth. They had a complete Lego Store, as well as a play area for kids to be creative:
I forgot to mention that I'm staying at a hotel that's about 15 minutes from the convention center. However, it's only about 2,000 ft. away. It's across San Diego Bay on Coronado Island. Here's the view from the hotel:
I have to travel across this bridge each day, to get to the main part of San Diego:
While at Comic Con, my company rented a night club downtown, in conjunction with a group that has a very popular YouTube channel...something that appeals to the folks at Comic Con. We set-up gaming stations for folks to play on incredible multi-screen PCs:
We even set-up a car-driving game, with 5 screens! This was pretty popular, as the chair moved in conjunction with what's happening in the game:
We gave away a lot of PC chips, so that people could use them to build their own computers. Each one of these is worth about $120:
I ran into some unique folks from the convention...especially in costume. I discovered that a lot of people like to dress up as zombies. No, seriously. I was trying to be nice to this woman:
She was a good sport...
In fact, they even held a "Zombie Walk"in downtown San Diego. This was a collection of hundreds of people - with costumes and make-up - walking for about 2 miles down a really busy street, towards the convention center. It was quite a spectacle:
At the end of the day, we had to pack up all the equipment. This is the ugly side of my trips...that I haven't ever shown. Lots of tedious work, to make sure we can use this equipment over and over again.
However, after all is said and done, I had a great time. I worked with a great team and had the chance to interact with lots of fun people. The craziness was totally worth it. I love Comic Con ; )





No comments:
Post a Comment