January 12, 2015

Redwood City, California


Dear Friends:

It's been a while since I've added to this travel blog.  I've decided that although I'm not traveling for work these days, I would catch-up on non-business events!

One of the most important trips in the last few months came in late October...it was the arrival of my second grandson!! I was spending the weekend in Dallas, at the Texas State Fair (see previous post), when I received a call from my daughter that she was going into labor.  This was at least a week earlier than planned.  I had decided, months earlier, that I would fly to California for the birth...no matter what was going on.  I drove my family back to Austin that morning and went directly to the airport.  When I arrived in the San Francisco Bay Area, little Joseph had only been born a few hours earlier:


My daughter was amazing through the process, particularly when she wasn't planning on this happening for another week:


These are the moments that you truly cherish in life - and they don't come very often.  I am so lucky to have been able to arrive so soon after he made his appearance in the world.  I was able to hold him for quite a while, giving his parents some much-needed rest:



As a comparison, here's a picture of my oldest daughter, shortly after her birth:


My son-in-law is an amazing man, and watching the creation of yet another eternal family is a humbling experience:


For the next couple of days, it was just the four of us.  Joseph was very quiet and loved to be held. One of the big differences these days, is sharing such a great moment with so many people via social media, text, e-mail...and video chats.  Things have changed quite a bit ; )

Here is Joseph, sleeping peacefully in the hospital room.  I wish I could sleep like this ; )


Here's another video clip.  This time, he's trying to see the world.  The cutest sneeze happens at the 21-second mark:


One proud father...

About the only thing that I could do to help - besides holding the baby - was to get food for the parents.  One nice surprise was the In-N-Out Burger that was located just a block away from the hospital ; )  I didn't mind getting food there...AT ALL!


While it was a short trip, I just consider myself blessed to have such a great family, and that I was lucky enough to be there at the arrival of both grandsons.  I'll never forget it, and can't wait to share these pictures with Joseph when he's old enough ; )


No comments: