September 29, 2015

Dallas & Boston - Part 1


Dear Friends:

This week, I'm on the East Coast of the U.S.  I'm beginning the adventure in Boston, Massachusetts - but will make my way down part of the coast by the end of the week.  The best part of this adventure (and there are a lot of awesome things), is that my family is traveling with me!  We actually started the journey in Dallas, Texas where my wife was working at a Time Out For Women event there.  We were lucky enough to spend some time with my oldest son and his family.  I had the chance to play with my oldest grandson, and the kids all had a blast together ; )


Here's a quick video clip of the boys playing together.  This went on for a while....


One of the more precious images of that evening, was big Uncle G-Man reading a bedtime story to his nephew L.  Yeah...my heart melted a little while listening to this sweet exchange:



As most of you know, we used to live in Boston, just a few years ago.  We still have some fond memories of our time there, and some dear friends to go with them.

We started the adventure by traveling from Boston out to Shrewsbury, which is where we used to live.  We attended a fantastic get-together that was arranged for us to see so many friends at the same time.  It was actually an early birthday party, as the hostess' birthday falls on the same day as mine ; )


 We really, really enjoyed seeing so many old friends.  It just reminded us of how lucky we are to live in places with such good people.  Some pics from our "party":



All of the September birthday "kids"

Here's a clip of our birthday cake - it had some unusual candles on it....


It was a long day, and we didn't get back to the hotel until very late.  As I arose early for a breakfast meeting, I saw this angelic scene:


The actual reason that I'm here in Boston, is to attend an industry conference.  This one is dedicated to a community of game developers that use a particular game "engine" to create their games.  The game engine is called "Unity" and the event is Unite 2015 - a gathering of developers from across the U.S.


The conference had the usual keynote presentations, as well as an exhibit area.  It was a smaller trade show, by industry standards, but my company had a small booth to showcase the latest techniques that developers could use to make their games better.



One of our engineers presented a talk on the latest graphic techniques used for virtual reality applications.  It was standing-room only!


I think that's it for now.  Join me for the next post where I get to show all the fun that my wife and kids had - while I was stuck in meetings all day ; )

No comments: