March 24, 2016

Cambridge & London, UK


Dear Friends:

This week, I'm in the United Kingdom!  I know that it seems like I don't like to be at home.  I can guarantee you that isn't the case.  In fact, I didn't know that I was taking this trip to the UK until just days before I left.  Fortunately, my schedule allowed this trip to happen - I am presenting to executives at my company's HQ while my boss is on vacation ; )

I arrived in London, and saw an unusually high police presence at Heathrow Airport.  I learned later that there had been a terrorist attach in Brussels - which isn't very far away.  I know that my family was concerned for my safety...which is comforting.  My oldest son texted me and asked if everything was OK.  I'm glad that the attacks didn't reach London...and feel horrible for the people that they did impact.

My flights now usually arrive and leave from Heathrow's Terminal 2, or the Queen's Terminal.  It's actually a new terminal, built on the site of the previous Terminal 2.  Opened just two years ago, it's quite lovely and has some decent open spaces:


My presentations didn't start until the following day, so I wanted to take advantage of a few hours that I had to myself.  I stored my luggage at one of the biggest train stations in central London - King's Cross.  For any Harry Potter fan, they know that this is the departure point for Hogwarts.  In fact, there is a display inside the train station where you can pretend to go to the imaginary track 9 3/4.  I'm still amazed at how many tourists still line-up to have their picture taken there:


At the rail station is a Harry Potter gift shop, located right next to Track 9.  It's always busy...and a tiny place.  I wish we lived in a colder climate, so I could wear more Gryffindor sweaters ; )



With my extra time, I navigated the UK train system to Chingford, about 30 minutes outside central London.  For Scouting nerds, this is akin to Mecca - as the original Gilwell Park is located on the edge of the city.  This is where Lord Baden-Powell began training adult Scout leaders there in 1919.  The training is called "Wood Badge" and continues today.  It's one of the only consistent programs among every nation that participates in Scouting.


To us Scouters, this is a sacred place.  I'm lucky that I have the chance to visit.  In addition to a large camping facility, it also houses the HQ for the British Scouting organization.  There are wonderful statues and plaques around the grounds:


I didn't have a lot of extra time (unlike the last time, when I talked my way into the archives), so I just walked around the grounds and convinced them to let me buy a few souvenirs ; ) It was still a thrill to even walk the grounds.

Back in London, I needed to grab my suitcase and head to Cambridge, about an hour train ride north of London.  In the subway, I came upon this sign:


If only it wasn't about the Broadway musical...that has little to do with the actual religion (sigh).  I was running through Kings Cross, and wanted to take a snap shot of the wonderful architecture inside this train station:


I made it to Cambridge that afternoon, and spent several hours preparing my presentation.  The next morning, I enjoyed a very "light" English breakfast.  The only thing missing from a typical UK breakfast was the beans...I just couldn't do it:


The meetings would last the entire day, so I got there early.  In fact, it was too early.  I decided to take a short walk in the nearby residential neighborhoods, to pass the time.  I love this little English neighborhood, with a wonderful row of daffodils, brightening a very overcast day.


Nearby was a very new development...but the concept of a detached dwelling isn't found very often here.  No enough space, after hundreds and hundreds of years of development:


The rest of the day - literally 11 hours - was spent in this tiny room.  It was still a good set of presentations, and I was able to deliver my presentation for a full hour.


That night, we all had dinner together.  The highlight for me was dessert.  Not a big surprise there.  I've fallen in love with a signature British dessert - Sticky Toffee Pudding...the picture isn't great, but it's a wonderful dessert, when done right:


That's it for my very, very quick trip to the United Kingdom.  I flew back, just in time to jump in a car and drive to Dallas ; )  I'm off to see my newly-born granddaughter, for Easter.  I can't wait!!

No comments: