March 15, 2016

Wood Badge - Bastrop, Texas - Part 2


Dear Friends:

This is the second blog post on my experience serving on staff for Wood Badge.  For an explanation of the program, see the last post here.  I pick up the story up on Day 2 of the first weekend of Wood Badge...

After the first successful day of training, the entire staff were feeling great!  The participants were happy, if not overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of materials and principles that we taught on the first day.  We kept up the pace for Day 2.  We started with some games to help understand team development and team leadership.  One game had the group keeping several tennis balls in the air at the same time.  They had to establish a pattern and depend on each other to make it work:


We also had them build a rocket, as a team.  We used water pressure to launch them - with prizes for speed, distance, design.  I think the smiles on their faces tell the whole story...


Over the 2nd and 3rd day, we focused on other aspects of team development.  I think my favorite part of these days was the time that I spent with just my patrol - at their patrol campsite.  There, I delivered two presentation directly to the patrol members.  I actually had to use a flip chart ; )  For those that know me, I always use video projectors and computers...this was a little bit of a challenge to resort to the "old" ways of delivering a presentation.  Despite that, the presentations turned into valuable conversations among friends.  Sorry - the only picture I can find is from one of the participants...


At the close of Day 3, we all watched the movie October Sky - the story of a group of boys that were passionate about building and flying rockets for a high school science fair.  If you haven't seen the movie - stop what you're doing and go watch it.


I gathered my patrol and helped them understand what we expected out of them for weekend #2.  There were lots of things to plan and prepare for.


We gave them 10 days in-between the two sessions, to let some of the material "sink in".  Also, we wanted them to think about their 5 "tickets" - let me explain.  After the practical phase of Wood Badge is over, they will move to the application phase.  Here, they apply everything they've learned and improve their local Scout units - no matter what position they serve in.

A "ticket" is sort of like a project.  They can be large or small, depending on the capabilities of the individual.  The participants have 18 months from the end of the practical phase to finish.  A big part of weekend #2 is about nailing down those tickets - making the goals very concrete and achievable.  This, for some, is a really difficult task.  Those that have lived in the corporate world are probably used to setting performance goals.  Either way, we want to see how the participants actually "give back" to their local units and apply the incredible principles that they've learned.


In between the close of the first weekend and the set-up for the second, I was really busy.  I had the close of "Missionary Week" at church, a Stake-wide youth activity.  I taught Priesthood at a Ward Conference, held a Stake Youth Committee meeting, conducted a 2-hour Stake Priesthood Leadership training, and flew to Seattle for business meetings.  Whew!

Prep day at Lost Pines Scout Camp came, and we gathered there to set everything up for the 2nd weekend.  However, it rained like CRAZY the entire day.



This caused us to shift many of the activities to an indoor facility.  We assembled the gathering area for the patrols.  I spent a little time creating a "nest" for my Owl patrol:



One of the assignments that we gave each patrol, was to create a patrol flag.  My team was amazing - they used a laser-etching process to create this amazing flag, on a giant piece of leather:


On this weekend, the meals were all created by the patrols themselves.  The Owl patrol had a particularly talented individual who made some incredible dishes.  I was on a rotation, so only had one meal with them, but it was a dutch oven-cooked steak stew.  DELICIOUS!


They made a chocolate-cherry cake with Dr. Pepper that was to die for.  It looked like a mess, but tasted heavenly:


Other patrols were creating some nice dishes, as well.  At one patrol camp site, I had a chili inside a bread bowl.  It was a little cold that day, so the dish was quite welcome:


The Jedi Troop Guides was there in full-force.  We even crafted costumes for each day's flag ceremony:


On Day 4, we talked to the patrols about problem-solving, particularly as teams.  We also helped them understand project planning.  To apply the principles learned, we set up a series of "obstacles" for them to solve as a team.


My station had them build a device with giant PVC pipes that could deliver a golf ball across a 20 ft. area.  They had rules to follow that made it less easy than it sounds:



We taught one module on the different "generations" that are involved in Scouting.  Many times, older generations have a tough time understand the priorities of the younger generations.  This "divide" impacts adults, as well.  I took a turn as a "millennial" (born between the 80s and 2000).  I talked to them about this generations priorities and the communication methods that they generally appreciate:


That evening, we prepared the patrols to spend the night on an "outback" campout.  They would have to travel a distance from the main area to a remote location, and camp overnight.  Several participants were Cub Scout leaders that had never camped before, so it was a great teaching moment for them.

I decided to have a little fun with my Owls.  I gave them clues that were scattered across Lost Pines, to help them reach their campsite.


Once they reached the campsite, I had left a cooler with all of their favorite sodas and candy.  I learned this from questions I asked back on Day 1...needless to say, they were surprised to find this treat bag:


Back at the staff HQ, we held a little celebration party, while our patrols were on their outback adventure.  The theme was "Tex-Mex" and we had a little fun with it:


Day 6 represented the close of the practical phase.  We helped them understand how to leave a "legacy" in Scouting, by completing their tickets and improving the lives of the youth that we serve.

We took a few moments to pose for formal pictures.  I wont' lie...a few tears were shed, as the experience with all of these devoted leaders was deeply personal and inspiring.

Jedi Troop Guides


Towards the end of the day, we actually posed for some decent portraits:

Entire course staff and participants

 My Owl Patrol

 Course Staff

Troop Guides and our Advisor

I ended up hanging all of the patrol flags in the camp dining hall - for all Scouts to see, whenever they attend Scout camp there:


We congratulated each of the participants - 30 in all - in a final flag ceremony.  I took a moment and looked around, to remember the moment.


That was it!  We spent the rest of the evening taking everything down, and talking for an hour about what went right/wrong.  We want to help improve the next session of Wood Badge.

Overall, it's hard to explain how much I loved this experience.  I really love teaching, and to have that chance in a Scouting setting is a real treasure.  The opportunity to spend hours and hours with men and women that share my values and dedication to Scouting  - is priceless.  Five members of the Wood Badge staff were also LDS, so there was an even deeper understanding of what Scouting can do for young men, in the spiritual sense.

I hope to be able to serve on staff again.  After this weekend, I would like to become a Course Director someday.  That's probably a 10-year goal, but I think it's worth the time.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: