March 1, 2016

Los Angeles - Virtual Reality Conference


Dear Friends:

This is the second post about my recent trip to Los Angeles, California.  I was there on business, to attend an industry conference all about virtual reality.  It was called the Unity Vision Summit:


The event was very well attended, as virtual reality is a very hot topic in the tech industry...for the moment.  I don't have time to articulate the state of VR right now, but it's going to become a big part of entertainment, education and gaming...within the next few years.  The keynotes were really great:


We were able to see what NASA was doing with VR - allowing scientists on earth to collaborate with engineers on the International Space Station:


I had a small team there to host visitors to a booth.  Our company provides computer chips to Samsung, so they can make a set of VR "goggles" that are powered by mobile phones:


The "expo" area of the show was really fun - lots of companies, including Sony, Google and others - showing their latest VR technology:




It was fun to watch people experience interactive virtual environments, throughout the day:




On a break, I found a nearby candy store that had some absolutely delicious imported chocolate.  You may have seen the Milka brand here in the U.S.  However, I discovered this heavenly combination of Milka and Daim - bringing incredible chocolate flavors from Switzerland and Sweden.  The Daim bar is an elevated version of the Heath Bar:


The first evening of the conference was fun - there was a party held on the roof of the Loew's Hotel at Hollywood and Highland:




The second day of the conference was more of the same - great presentations about VR games and films.  There were quite a few sessions about utilizing the VR technology in education - think about having kids travel to an ancient Egyptian temple and being able to walk around and see what it actually looked like:



This is, essentially, what kept me going for several days.  Standing for ten hours at a stretch took a lot of Diet Coke ; )


That's it for now - it was an amazing conference and I'm hoping that VR can live up to the hype in 2016, so that things can progress over the next several years.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

No comments: