August 7, 2009

Utah Wedding - Children Will Listen


While in Utah, my wife had the unique chance to perform her "cabaret" show entitled "Children Will Listen: Reflections on Mothering". This is. as she describes it, "an evening of music and musings, celebrating the women and mothers in our lives. From a daughter, stepdaughter, sister, friend, teacher, wife, stepmother, daughter-in-law and mother." You just have to know that it's a great performance, with poignant stories and a fascinating look at motherhood.I couldn't begin to give you the entire experience, here in this post. I've been lucky enough to see this program on three separate occasions. I know that I'm biased - it's my wife, for heaven's sake - but the emotional experience at each of these performances has been riveting. I've heard from several people that this is a great experience, so it's not just me ; )

One of the things that made it so special, is that the woman who accompanies my wife on the piano (Whitney), actually flew out to Utah, to perform with her. The two make such a great team! You also need to understand that Whitney was the catalyst for this program. She knew that my wife always wanted to try this - but just didn't take all the steps needed to make it happen. Whitney is someone who l-o-v-e-s to see people realize their dreams. Shouldn't we all be like that? Seriously?

As a musical enthusiast, I love to hear great artists, working together. This was the case in Utah. The piano is so important in telling the stories...in filling the momentary spaces while my wife's voice is at rest. Here they are, together after the performance.



Another thing that made this performance special - was my wife's opportunity to perform in front of family and friends that hadn't heard her sing for such a long time. This included her family, as well as mine:


We all toasted my wife's awesome performance


Even G-Man attempted a toast...although most of the water ended up on the floor...

I just wish that more women could hear my wife's program. It helps everyone understand the importance of motherhood - from so many different perspectives - whether you have children, or not. There are some painful stories that she tells, but they help to illustrate and teach about hope, preparing oneself, and the belief in our sacred duty to help raise these children around us.



4 comments:

Macy said...

Thanks, honey. That was very sweet. I love that picture at the end.

Super Kimmie said...

Macy does a fantastic job and I loved hearing her sing - her Dad & I miss that. It was cute, almost as soon as she starting singing I looked over and Dad had tears in his eyes and I said something like already? He said I just missed her voice - such a proud papa. I was a wonderful evening and I hope I get to enjoy it again. By the way - I need a copy please :)

Super Kimmie said...

Oh - I love the pictue at the end too - that may need to go on the wall in the man room.

Yvonne said...

Nice post. Macy is very talented.