As I depart Stockholm for home (via Frankfurt), I leave you with totally random thoughts and observations...written at 4:30am in the airport:
- Swedes have an excellent command of the English language. Almost every single person I've come into contact with in Sweden, can speak English (thank goodness for me). Want to know why? Swedish television is based almost entirely on American programming with sub-titles. I kid you not. I was flipping through the channels in the hotel and every show was from American TV. CSI, Scrubs, Law & Order, NCIS, Medium, Spin City...you get the idea. It sure made it easy for me, and apparently the Swedish love it.
- Do you know how hard it is for me not to mock the sound of Swedes talking? Think back to the Muppet Show - remember the Swedish chef?
I do a pretty mean imitation...and it's killing me to keep quiet while here. Seriously...it's killing me ; )
- Almost every meal in Germany is based around meat, or meat-in-some-sort-of-casing. Now, just so we're clear - I don't mind that at all. Me and sausage are good friends. Here's an example of my breakfast this morning:

What you see on that plate is no ordinary sausage - that's a specialty of Frankfurt. As you might guess, it's a "Frankfurter". I also had brautwerst, sausages and schnitzel to choose from. Carnivore heaven!
- Last night at dinner, the Stockholm restaurant's specialty was reindeer. I've written about my first experience eating reindeer before (Helsinki). After a week of eating big meals...and sitting in conference rooms for 6 to 8 hours at a time...I went for something a little lighter. The rest of my team apparently have no regard for their health ; )

- On this trip, I hit the UK, Germany and Sweden. Wouldn't you know it - even though all three are part of the EU, they each use a different currency. I've got a pocket of coins from each country: pounds, euros and kronors. I hope someday these coins interest G-Man.
- Stockholm is going to move into my "Top 5" cities of the world. Even though I didn't have a chance to see anything this trip, it just reminded me of how great that city is. Stockholm will now join Sydney, Florence and Tokyo in the lofty collection. Remaining city to be determined at a later date. Perhaps I should include a U.S. destination??
Thanks for taking the time to read this...my usage reports for this blog indicate that there are a few regulars. Let me know if there are any particular cities that you're interested in - that I haven't covered. I'll move them to the top of the list!


2 comments:
I had to laugh at your wanting to imitate--that's the way I feel when I'm in the South ; )
Good for you being health conscious, especially after all those candy bars you ate.
Hang on to that money, we may be needing it pretty soon ; )
I can't believe Winnipeg isn't in that top 5.
I think me hearing the Swedish Chef impression should be the first order of business next time you are in UT. :)
Post a Comment