March 26, 2009

San Francisco, CA-Part 3


Today is the "official" start of the Game Developers Conference (GDC).  There are several parts - an "expo" hall with traditional trade-show booths, a "career fair" portion, and a series of conference presentations.  The topics include every possible aspect of making video games.  Here's a snapshot of the "career fair" area:


It's p-a-c-k-e-d.  I'm guessing that either 1) people really, really want a job making video games, or 2) people want a better job in games, than what they currently have.  Probably a mixture of both.  These stands were mobbed all day.


As for me - I had meetings from 9am until 6pm, back-to-back.  Each meeting was with a different game developer.  I learned a great deal and found some groups that we want to work closer with.  Good stuff...but tiring.

The organizers of the show were nice enough to present me with a box of chocolates and a bottle of champagne.  Being both Mormon and diabetic, meant that I gave everything away ; )  It was a very nice gesture, however.

It's time to head back to the hotel - get some dinner - and skip the parties, so I can prepare my presentation tomorrow.  I'll be talking about advances in videogame physics.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

I would have traded that bottle of champagne for an extra box of candy to take to your wife--well, never mind, only if she was doing the Biggest Loser challenge with me ; )