Dear Friends:
This week, I visited Salt Lake City, Utah. I was only in town for a full day, but still made the most of it. This was a personal trip, as I was attending a gathering of Scout leaders who will be working at the Boy Scout National Jamboree later this year.
As with every single trip to this state, I continue to marvel at the Wasatch Mountains. The weather on this day was exceptional, and I took the time to appreciate the stunning mountains towering in front of me.
Another interesting thing about Utah, is that it seems to be a consistent testbed for consumer products. I always manage to find different flavors of products there - most are on a limited trial basis. Here are just a couple:
By the way, the Sugar Babies were NOT good. I hate to see that happen ; )
For lunch, I decided to go to J Dawg's - a fantastic hot dog place, right near BYU campus. The hot dogs and freshly-baked buns did not disappoint at all:
With a little time to spare, I took a walk across campus. It was a beautiful day, and the grounds were just as gorgeous as always. I remember attending school in the spring and loved how quiet the campus was, for the most part.
I drove to Salt Lake City for the meeting, but stopped at the house of a dear family that used to live in Austin. They have three boys that I adore, and it was great to meet up with them again. I'm so glad I had the chance to reconnect with them!
I stopped at Temple Square, at the very heart of Salt Lake City. I admired the incredible flowers that can be found across the grounds. It seems that you can just never take a bad picture of the Salt Lake City Temple:
My meeting took place inside the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. This was originally built as a stylish, grand hotel. It still looks stunning inside, complete with a very peaceful feeling that permeates the rooms and hallways throughout the building.
Upstairs, we gathered for the meeting. This was about the best picture I could get from my seat - I didn't want to stand during the presentation and snap a picture. They served some lovely desserts, and we had a chance to get to know each other:
At the front of the troom, they had a couple of displays - memorabilia from past Boy Scout Jamorees. This is where thousands of Boy Scouts gather in one place, and enjoy a ton of activities. We'll be participating in a grand tradition of Scouting when over 50,000 Scouts and their leaders gather in West Virginia in July.
As I left the meeting that evening, I saw this plaque on display. I guess it really does summarize the way that I feel about volunteering as a Scout leader. That would explain the entire trip to Utah, actually ; )
Thanks for reading!

No comments:
Post a Comment