Dear Friends:
This week, I had a pretty unique adventure. Allow me to explain. Recently, I had to have eye surgery, due to some complications from Diabetes. I may write an entire post about that experience, even though it didn’t involve travel. During the surgery, they placed a gas bubble inside my eye to maintain the proper pressure and to assist with the healing. After two weeks of healing, I was pleased with the progress. However, I learned that, due to the bubble, I wouldn’t be able to travel in a plane. The pressure change would cause serious damage to my eye. My dilemma was that I needed to be in Los Angeles for a work conference. After exploring options with my wife, I decided to take the train.
I left on a Sunday morning at 2:45am. The train route is called the “Sunset Limited” - that travels from New Orleans to Los Angeles. You can view the route map above.
I was lucky enough to have a “roomette” - basically a very small sleeper room. It was nice to be able to sleep (as well as I could). The room is built for two - with a bunk bed above. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like:
This is my room, on the bottom floor of the train car - that's my little window, right there:
This is the hallway with the sleeping rooms on the left of the car:
The next day, I explored more of the train. The “Lounge Car” has large windows on both sides, to see the terrain outside, as we roll along.
My room included meals in the Dining Car - which weren’t too bad, actually. You have to schedule reservations and you’re seated with other passengers to make efficient use of the limited tables in the car.
The scenery from Texas to California wasn’t much to look at. Mostly desert and some limited hills. Every once-in-a-while we would see farms. Texas is just a big state, and we traveled mostly along the U.S./Mexico border for a majority of the trip.
There were several stops along the way. We were only allowed to get off the train in larger cities. The smokers onboard would race to get outside, as there’s no smoking on the train. The stops during the day would give me a chance to walk along the train, as there wasn’t time to run to any stores, etc. My rear end was quite numb with all the sitting, so the walks definitely helped.
Alpine, TX
I will say that sunset was beautiful to watch during dinner. This isn’t a great photo, as I wasn’t in a great position. But it added to the “romance” that is associated with train travel.
Monday morning, I arrived at Los Angeles’ Union Station. It was quite early and I had to wait for the Hertz office to open, so I could grab a rental car. However, the exterior of the station was actually beautiful
Inside is classic train station architecture - and something you’re probably seen in a lot of movies ; )
Overall, the ride was mostly relaxing. I suppose that it’s all about perspective. There were lots of retired folks that loved the pace of travel. It took me a while to regain my patience, as I wanted to get work done, and that’s almost impossible without an internet connection these days.
I was able to watch a few movies, and even socialized with some of the passengers…who mostly love to talk. I’m glad that I even had an option to travel, and can check this one off my list ; )
That’s it for the trip out. I’ll follow-up with a post about the actual conference and time I spent in LA. Thanks for reading!!



No comments:
Post a Comment