July 26, 2008

Bahamas



I've been lucky enough to see the Bahamas on several occasions. Usually, I arrive in Nassau, which is one of the largest cities in the islands. If you drive/ride around Nassau, you'll see (in addition to a lot of poverty) some quaint, colorful homes that remind you of days gone by:


In Nassau, there are a ton of shops at the main pier - to relieve the cruise passengers of all their hard-earned money.

Some of these shops are really nice, as many are dedicated to jewelry.  However, some of the shop staff are a little pushy when it comes to making a sale. Anyone who has been on a cruise, knows what I'm talkin' about...



On an adjacent island (just over a nicely-built causeway), you'll find Paradise Island and the amazing Atlantis Resort:



This is a monstrous resort - that goes on...and on...and on. I've never stayed there, but I've toured the grounds (there is an actually fee to be able to walk through the entire facility - if you're not a guest). I managed to by-pass the fee by walking into the resort from the beach. It took me a while to go completely around the place, but I was trying to make a point ; ) Inside, you can see fish of all sizes swimming through the hotel. It's like a series of aquariums throughout. The hammerhead shark exhibit was most impressive.


Something to watch, while you eat...

On another trip, I was able to go swim with the dolphins...literally. I went to a facility that was about 15 minutes from the main island, by boat. While there, you get to work with a dolphin, one-on-one. It was awesome...the texture of the dolphin's skin was pretty surprising. I had a blast:


He likes me...he really likes me...


Hug it out, man

I'm thinking that I'll return there again, whether it's a cruise with my adult children, or staying at The Atlantis.  Either way is just fine with me...

5 comments:

Macy said...

I have always loved that picture with the dolphin kissing you. You look so happy!

Molly said...

It looks like you need to convert your backyard into a dolphin tank and get one for a pet because you both look so happy! :)

Yvonne said...

I agree with macy and molly--but for crying out loud are you ever WHITE in that bottom pic ; )

Neal said...

I could blame the sun's reflection on the water, or the white-balance issues with the camera..but I'm just that white.

Super Kimmie said...

How cool is that? I would love to hug a dolphin! Just goes to prove you are definately Uncle Awecome - I mean you've hugged a dolphin!!