One of the best ways to understand a new culture, is through food (my wife would argue it's through music, but this isn't her blog). I try to be as adventurous as my stomach can handle. On this trip to Osaka, Japan, I tried some food from a local vendor - I have no idea what it's called, so I will dub it Egg Thing:
Egg Thing Point of Origin
The best way to describe Egg Thing, is having lettuce and onion fried with raw egg on top. Sounds great, doesn't it? While waiting for my very own Egg Thing, I watched this woman quickly turn over 100 "buns":
Does she get paid by bun, or by the hour?
For all the years that I've been coming to Japan - video arcades have always been a big part of Japanese life. The videogame arcades are much smaller than before (with game consoles so much more powerful in the home), but Pachinko remains a big time-waster. I can't understand why you would want to sit inside a Pachinko arcade and watch small, steel balls fall down a 2-ft. window. I guess I just don't have the true Japanese spirit:
Another of my favorite things about Japan (yeah, I know...there's many) are the gardens. As you may know, Japanese take their gardens seriously. However, it's different than the way the English revere gardening. In Japan, it's a more spiritual approach. Many call it Zen. The gardens are usually as peaceful as the temples and shrines. Here's a shot of a garden just outside of Osaka Castle:

No comments:
Post a Comment