August 29, 2010

Austin...the last one


Dear Friends:

This will be my last blog posting about Austin, Texas. I hope you're not too tired of hearing about this city. After this, I will actually be a resident of the town and will have to start blogging about any trips to Boston!

I made an unscheduled trip to Austin, to participate in the inspections for our new house. We're still a ways from actually getting the house (having difficulty with an emotional seller), but this is just another step in the process. The seller accepted our offer and we needed to complete inspections before the contract process can move forward. While there, the temperature hit 107-degrees. Yikes! I learned quickly that you can't leave anything in the car, when it's outside and in that kind of heat. Climbing into the attic in that heat was unbearable...

While there, I went to lunch at a local restaurant. I was quickly introduced to another aspect of the Texan culture - firearms. In the restaurant, this guy was sitting three feet from me:


He wasn't a police officer. You see, in Texas, apparently you can carry firearms. I'm going to have to get used to that ; )

Later that day, while searching for a place to have dinner, I came across a really interesting part of the local cuisine - trailer food. This is really popular in Austin. Many caterers and restaurants have food trailers that they park in popular places. The variety of choices is amazing, and the quality is pretty good:

Hey Cupcake - one of the best




When you get up close, the menus are fun. Here's a close-up of the menu from Hey Cupcake:

Click to enlarge...24 Carrot was divine....

Food from Mighty Cone

Here's a short little video clip of the trailer food on Congress St. - the first one of these areas that caught my eye:

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

Yesterday on The Today Show Austin was the "pick city of the day"--it made me smile ; )

Dana said...

Rob actually can carry a concealed weapon. Maybe that's the difference here - you can carry, but you don't need to show everyone. Course, he'd love to live in a place where there are guns everywhere.