August 15, 2010

Mansfield, Massachusetts


The day before I left for China, my wife and I actually went on a date. This was a special date, to be sure. We went to see a concert in Mansfield, Massachusetts. Sting was on tour. He's one of my favorite performers - right next to U2. This time, however, he was with the London Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. For the tour, Sting took a number of his hit songs and had them rearranged for a symphony orchestra. The result...pure magic.



The orchestra was in perfect form, and Sting's voice was in terrific shape. His back-up singer was also amazing, handling a variety of genres. You have to understand that I don't go to many concerts, as I'm usually disappointed by the quality of the actual sound. This concert didn't disappoint in any way. I loved hearing individual instruments on sections of each song. Hits like "Roxanne" were given new energy and only shined brighter with the string and woodwind sections providing back-up.

As you can imagine - the slower, more ballad-like songs were perfect for an orchestral arrangement. However, some of the faster songs were equally fun:


Sting also released an album a few weeks ago - which is a collection of these songs. It's called "Symphonicities". If you're a Police or Sting fan, it's worth buying, for the the unique treatment of these great songs:


What a fantastic date! It was brutal to get up at 4am the next morning to get on a plane for 20 hours...but the concert was worth it. It was that good ; )

1 comment:

Macy said...

It was that good! So glad we went!