August 4, 2010

Beijing - Part 2


Today I had a chance to participate in some interesting meetings in Beijing. I met with a company called Youku (you-koo). This is the largest video website in all of China. Think of it as a combination of YouTube and Hulu. They provide a place for people to upload self-created videos, but the largest part of their site is a place to view professional TV shows and movies from hundreds of different sources. Most of the young Chinese actually prefer to watch TV on a laptop, rather than a television. Amazing...


We talked to them about improving the quality of the online videos and helping them make more of a transition to high-def video, using our graphics technology. It was a great discussion.

In the afternoon, we met with another of the largest game companies in China - Perfect World. They have some beautiful games (by Chinese standards), but we can help the games look ten times better. They were kind and presented me with a gift:


Yup, an engraved cigarette lighter. Besides the fact that I have absolutely no use for a lighter, they really didn't think about the fact that I can't take the gift onboard a flight to the U.S. ; ) Oh, well...it's the thought that counts, right?

For dinner, the local China team treated us to a very traditional Beijing delicacy - Peking Duck. Duck is not the "lightest" food, but it was prepared well. For those that have never eaten duck in China, there is an established and formal method for eating it.


You start with what I would describe as a very light tortilla. You take pieces of duck meat (see picture above) and dip it in a sort of plum sauce. You place the duck on the tortilla and add some thin cucumber slices, bean sprouts and thin pieces of onion. You fold the tortilla into a "burrito" and you're ready to eat! It was an interesting combination of flavors. However, after the meals I've had over the last two, I'm going to eat salads for the next week!

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Too funny about the lighter ; )

Interesting that they'd rather watch TV on the laptop.

Glad I've tried Peking Duck.